Tenkara Fly Rods

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Tenkara Fly Rods

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Has anyone tried this system of fly fishing. Looks interesting:-k

http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php

LGshAotMzng&feature=related

http://www.tenkarabum.com/
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

RE:Tenkara Fly Rods

Post by Jay K » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I tenkara. It's fun, simple, mobile and minimalist. Ideally suited for small stream (which I haven't tried), but works OK shoreline fishing lakes. I've mostly used tenkara at Fish Lake.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:10 pm

I have tried it a few times many years ago. I worked as a grunt for a fly fishing outfitter in Sun Valley and the shop that was associated with our guide service had Tenkara equipment. The rods were bamboo in this case and the lines were a braided mono-filament with a leader loop for traditional tapered leaders.

Casting is similar to a Roll-Cast. Some "old-timers" that used to frequent the shop used the technique/equipment with great success on the infamous Silver Creek.

You gonna try it?

Tight Lines!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 pm

The concept is very interesting. I could see where it would be very handy in a small mountain stream, similar to the Little Pend 'Orielle River.

At about $200.00 to get into it, I would have to consider how much I would use it. I don't fish the small streams as much anymore, because a lot of the areas I used to stream fish back in the '70's have limited access now. The logging companies have gated off many of the access roads and some areas are now privately owned. Two years ago I wanted to get into a small lake up by Marshall Lake and couldn't. I reached a point in the road where there were big berms bulldozed over the road with a sign stating no trespassing because of wildlife protection.[confused] It's just not as easy getting into remote areas anymore.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Very interesting, Marc. Thanks for sharing. I've heard of this technique before but have never researched it. Your attached links were very informative.

I'm wondering if this may be the way to go when I get to Alaska next year. Lots of streams and grayling in the interior where I'll be. With their willingness to take dry patterns and smaller size, they could be a real hoot.

Hmmmmm.....time to start researching Tenkara rods! The addiction continues.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:15 am

Marc... You might try it with your regular rod 3wt to 5 wt 9 ft'er or a spey rod of about 5wt if you have it.....$200.00 for a new outfit might be a bit for something that is difficult to fish with in the small streams around here that are lined with brush. Good luck my friend and give it a try...Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I was kind of thinking the same thing. In the video, he is fishing a canyon with only rock around him. It would work out well for those conditions. If fishing a mountain stream in my area, like up by Colville, so many of the waters are under fir trees with limbs hanging down. Many years back, I bought the last model of the Fenwick FF605 (6' 5 wt.). I used to use it in the small tight areas of the Little Pend' Oreille River fishing for Brooks. It worked great. I still have it, but never use it. I'm told that it is a collectors item now.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”