Fly Fishing for Pike

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eustace
Lieutenant

Fly Fishing for Pike

Post by eustace » Mon May 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Does anybody flyfish for Pike on the site. If so what do you use for a tippit so those beast don't cut it as soon as they inhale. And what flies do you suggest.

After catching my first one on the POR Sat I am going this weekend and I thought that might be interesting to give that a try. I have only used my fly rod twice this year both times on the Coville River.
Well its not called Catching!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Fly Fishing for Pike

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 19, 2009 6:13 am

I have been using Cortland's Toothy Critter. Seems to work well.
http://www.flyfishusa.com/leaders/cortl ... ritter.htm
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 19, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue May 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Marc's leader is top notch. I have used 80 # spider wire, and it works, for most fish, if you change it after ever hook-up; Better use Marc's suggestion.

Now, as for flies, almost any salt water fly will work, and the Clouser's Minnow is top notch. I also like the Dalberg Divers, oversize leaches, and just plain old large white Zonker style minnows.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Desertcreek
Warrant Officer

Post by Desertcreek » Tue May 19, 2009 4:00 pm

The silver Bow Fly Shop in Spokane is loaded with a bunch of new pike flies. I have been bustin Sean's chops for months about getting them in and he called me to tell me they have arrived. Sean Visintainer is the owner and he is a super nice guy. When you go in there tell him some bass guy told you to stop in.

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm

When I fly fish for Pike I do not use a tapered leader. Since you are normally stripping the fly you can get away with a short section of 50lb hard mono say 5'. Tie on a tippet material of 2' of 35lb hard mono. You can get hard mono at any local sporting goods store for cheap in 50yd spools. The hard mono turns over oversized flies extremely well and is super abrasion resistant. You should check your tippet material after every fish and change as you see fit. I have only lost one fish due to a bite off since most fish are hooked in the lips and your fly and tippet are outside the mouth.

The flies anglinarcher suggested are great patterns. The hot pattern for me in the clousers is red/white, chartreuse/white at least 6-7inches in length.

Also you cannot strip them fast enough. I usually cast,put the rod in my arm pit and do the two handed strip.
Desertcreek beat me to the Bow Fly Shop. They usually have a great selection of Pike flies.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”