Prepping for the winter

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Prepping for the winter

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:09 am

Now that it seems that I am fishing a little less for bass I am curious what everyone does to store their equipment so that it is ready to roll out onto the water once spring shows again. Mainly plastics, jigs, spinnerbaits & buzzbaits along with your rods & reels.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

flippinfool
Commander

RE:Prepping for the winter

Post by flippinfool » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 am

Store equipment? I am breaking out the cold weather gear and I am gonna keep on fishing.Some of the best bass fishing is during the winter.Did Sparky put this idea in your head?
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:39 am

flippinfool wrote:Store equipment? I am breaking out the cold weather gear and I am gonna keep on fishing.Some of the best bass fishing is during the winter.Did Sparky put this idea in your head?

I was thinking the samething !! Store ? Stop fishing ? Im calling sparky tonight and geting this $--t worked out . We cant have bass anglers thinking its okay to take a break ! Im not upset with you B-n-G you have been doing well all year untill your recent trip with sparkle !! :rambo:

I need to know what all took place on the OLY Boat , something is fishy :-k

BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:46 am

Damn was going to try and fly under the radar while I hunted that PB smallie. LOL ... I never said I was stopping ... just knowing I wont be out there near as much as I was when I had more sunlight. Also all of the gear I may have used in the summer may not be the same gear I am using through the winter days. I just want to make sure all the gear I ended up getting over the summer stays in good condition through the colder days.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:04 am

I have a rod stand that is located 10ft from where i lay me head at night ! After each trip back from the lake , each rod gets striped , cleaned , and placed back in there bed were they rest untill the trip !! I keep all tackle on what use to be a nice BookCase but now serves as a staging area for all tackle ! In my closet i have three sections of clothing hanging , Work gear , Casual gear , Fishing gear ! I have for years made sure that i take proper care of all my fishing gear year round and trust me small things like that makes a difference once your on the lake . Some may think this is wierd some may say it's overkill , i like to look at it as becoming one with your gear ! :bounce:

BBD
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 am

Ha,stop fishing...You need to remember,I'm krazy stoopid.:clown:
I plan of fishing all year,especially bass'n. I've been looking over a little guide
and watching youtube videos on fizzing bass. As a paramedic,it looks pretty easy but having
never seen or doing it myself,it may be more dificult then it appears.
Thats the plan,let me know if you need a spot on the boat.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:41 am

Laughs .. okay okay ... so maybe I am putting the float tube up for the winter ... but am always ready to read out on a boat if anyone needs someone to scare the fish up to them ... LOL!

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:54 pm

No tube in the winter?? Come on man, toughen up!
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Everything stays in the boat. Come spring time I start the boat engine using a hose - usually. Other times I just go fishing, and start the engine at the lake - but not very often.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote:I have a rod stand that is located 10ft from where i lay me head at night ! After each trip back from the lake , each rod gets striped , cleaned , and placed back in there bed were they rest untill the trip !! I keep all tackle on what use to be a nice BookCase but now serves as a staging area for all tackle ! In my closet i have three sections of clothing hanging , Work gear , Casual gear , Fishing gear ! I have for years made sure that i take proper care of all my fishing gear year round and trust me small things like that makes a difference once your on the lake . Some may think this is wierd some may say it's overkill , i like to look at it as becoming one with your gear ! :bounce:

BBD
OK, now I'm calling you out - you can't be married. Not if you were to look at what was in my bedroom closet (90% of my wife's clothes, shoes, purses, etc, etc)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:47 pm

His closet is out in the shed. He has to go out there to change. Image
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:35 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Bigbass Dez wrote:I have a rod stand that is located 10ft from where i lay me head at night ! After each trip back from the lake , each rod gets striped , cleaned , and placed back in there bed were they rest untill the trip !! I keep all tackle on what use to be a nice BookCase but now serves as a staging area for all tackle ! In my closet i have three sections of clothing hanging , Work gear , Casual gear , Fishing gear ! I have for years made sure that i take proper care of all my fishing gear year round and trust me small things like that makes a difference once your on the lake . Some may think this is wierd some may say it's overkill , i like to look at it as becoming one with your gear ! :bounce:

BBD
OK, now I'm calling you out - you can't be married. Not if you were to look at what was in my bedroom closet (90% of my wife's clothes, shoes, purses, etc, etc)
I don't even get to look at the closet:eye:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm

Winters the best time to fish....Got the water all to yourself....

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:20 am

There are a few basic things one should do with any fishing gear that isn't being used. If you are like me, you have several rods and reels for each type of fishery in which you participate and then a dozen or so extras. They can't all get used consistently but they need to be ready to go at a moments notice.

1. Wash your gear after use. Especially your lures that have been scented or used with bait and rods and reels used in the salt.
2. Dry your gear before storing. Putting your gear and lures away wet is a sure way to start a rust farm.
3. Keep your gear out of the sunlight. UV rays deteriorate or fade nearly everything they hit, especially mono and plastics.
4. Slack off the drag on your reels. This helps keep your drag from sticking or degrading prematurely.
5. Store your gear in a dry location. Your damp basement or undercover in your boat outdoors will most likely result in your gear getting covered in mold or mildew if left unused for any length of time.
6. If you don't do so already, clean, dry and hang your waders out of the light as well.

General maintenance of your equipment and lures can be done anytime, but I find that I can watch and ball game and work on a rod, reel or tackle box at the same time. Replace rusted hooks and terminal gear on your lures. Sharpen hooks, re-tie leaders, dis-assemble reels and lube them as necessary, change out main lines as needed and clean out and re-organize your tackle box(es) or fishing vests.

This time of the year the only thing that keeps me off the water is excessive wind. As Blackmouth pointed out, many times you are alone out there during the Winter, it's awesome!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:39 am

Mike Carey wrote:

BBD

The funney thing about it Mike is that we have for 10 years have had to get a Two bedroom home just so i can have a half a closet !! lol so the 90% you speak us is in the other room ! hahaha

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:09 am

Jay, take your jigs and tie some braid around the skirt and toss the rubber keeper. This will save the skirts do the same with the spinners or any other skirted lures. Be sure to keep the rubber on untill you have tied the braid makes it easy. Good old W-D40 on your hooks will keep rust away and dosen't keep the fish from hitting. Change your fishing line every year! Due to back lash and lure tie I change the line twice a year.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 am

Thanks for the good infor Trent and G-Man. Man this notebook of tips is getting big ... LOL. Thanks again guys!

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Thanks for the good infor Trent and G-Man. Man this notebook of tips is getting big ... LOL. Thanks again guys!

Also talk to your rods ~ It important to have a good line of communication with them ya know !! Say motivational comments like "grow a backbone " "staighting up darn it" "stop getting bent out of shape over little stuff" ..you will notice a slight difference in there performance next time out .. try it out and LMK !!

:clown:

Dobyns Rods

Panic Minnow

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:45 pm

The damn voices in Dez's head are needing their medication again ... LOL! Hey that is how I get computers to work for me too!

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:10 pm

Mike Carey wrote:

BBD
Whoa. We're allowed to keep our stuff in the closet?

Why didn't I get this memo?!?!
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)