Upset

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishingmachine
Admiral

Upset

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:41 pm

I heard today from a home owner on beaver lake that a 12y.o kid caught and killed an 8lb bass outta the lake. I am so furious you dont even know. That fish is an old fish and deserves to live and breed to make more. Gotta keep those genes in the gene pool. I cant believe someone would keep such a big bass. I know the law says the can but be ethical. That fish is older than the kid and still probably had many more years but not anymore. Sorry for the rant but i just had to say it.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Upset

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:52 pm

All good FM, I don't like it myself and at times I find it very hard to bite my tongue.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:53 pm

I have been fishing that lake for 13 years and have always dreamed of a fish that big in there and to have one get killed its just blah i wanna keep it G rated

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 pm

as a 12y old young man catching a 8lb bass I can only imagine he did what he thought was the right thing and brought the fish home to the family for braggin rights and dinner. I understand its upsetting to see or hear about such a nice fish being caught and kept , but if given the chance try and teach the importance of c&r of lmb to young fishermen and fisherwomen so that they might still enjoy the sport that they are just starting to enjoy and will hopefully be able to continue to enjoy for many, many years to come threw catch and release.

btw how did you do at beaver lake today ? I tore it up at lake tapps. nothing over 3lb's , but lots of fish and was a blast.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:58 pm

Was out with quadfather as i took him out.
Bite was slow. missed quite a few. Caught about ten
All dinks

BMC you should come up and fish the lake with me sometime or i can come fish one of your lakes
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm

I'll hit you up when I know I"m ganna have more fishing time to do that. Sounds fun though :cheers: I've allways wanted to fish beaver and pine lakes. Fall fishing is right around the corner =d>

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Sounds good
Beaver is nice for largies while pine has some nice smallies
Just let me know.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:14 pm

FM's Guide Service? One of these days we'll have to fish together. I don't make trips north very often,not sure why.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:20 pm

Come on up
I always have a seat open for another WL member
I can show you why some lakes north of u are worth fishing:-$ :-$

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:42 pm

fishingmachine wrote:Come on up
I always have a seat open for another WL member
I can show you why some lakes north of u are worth fishing:-$ :-$
Sounds good to me,my schedule is booked up for the next couple weeks though and your boat my sink
with my fat arse

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:47 pm

doubt it
I have a friend who is 300 pounds and we float in the boat just fine
U can always come fish beaver in november when they put the triploids in

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:29 pm

Fishinmachine, this is sage advice:
BucketMouthCatcher wrote:as a 12y old young man catching a 8lb bass I can only imagine he did what he thought was the right thing and brought the fish home to the family for braggin rights and dinner. I understand its upsetting to see or hear about such a nice fish being caught and kept , but if given the chance try and teach the importance of c&r of lmb to young fishermen and fisherwomen so that they might still enjoy the sport that they are just starting to enjoy and will hopefully be able to continue to enjoy for many, many years to come threw catch and release.

btw how did you do at beaver lake today ? I tore it up at lake tapps. nothing over 3lb's , but lots of fish and was a blast.
FM, what's neat about you is your obvious love for the sport and desire to preserve the resource. You can use that passion to sway others that maybe have never been exposed to it to your point of view, like that 12 year old. I think BucketMouthCatcher has analyzed the situation quite clearly. It's been a LONG time since I was twelve but I'm sure if I ever caught a fish like that I would have kept and eaten it, out of ignorance and youthful excitement to show it off. Tough I know but it's what this state allows.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:25 am

Mike Carey wrote:Fishinmachine, this is sage advice:
BucketMouthCatcher wrote:as a 12y old young man catching a 8lb bass I can only imagine he did what he thought was the right thing and brought the fish home to the family for braggin rights and dinner. I understand its upsetting to see or hear about such a nice fish being caught and kept , but if given the chance try and teach the importance of c&r of lmb to young fishermen and fisherwomen so that they might still enjoy the sport that they are just starting to enjoy and will hopefully be able to continue to enjoy for many, many years to come threw catch and release.

FM, what's neat about you is your obvious love for the sport and desire to preserve the resource. You can use that passion to sway others that maybe have never been exposed to it to your point of view, like that 12 year old. I think BucketMouthCatcher has analyzed the situation quite clearly. It's been a LONG time since I was twelve but I'm sure if I ever caught a fish like that I would have kept and eaten it, out of ignorance and youthful excitement to show it off. Tough I know but it's what this state allows.
FM i agree with your rant,..but he is a young boy who caught a HOG,..probly very excited and like what was said wanted 2 show it off 2 his family and friends,..if the angler in question was older or a serious Basser,..then the issue would be even more pronounced,..given the age,..mentality,..and experience of said angler,..well the outcome speaks for itself. You definately have a point though and I hope in the future someone corners this young boy and teaches him the CPR-Of-Bassin.
BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:48 am

fishingmachine wrote:I heard today from a home owner on beaver lake that a 12y.o kid caught and killed an 8lb bass outta the lake. I am so furious you dont even know. That fish is an old fish and deserves to live and breed to make more. Gotta keep those genes in the gene pool. I cant believe someone would keep such a big bass. I know the law says the can but be ethical. That fish is older than the kid and still probably had many more years but not anymore. Sorry for the rant but i just had to say it.
FM i feel your pain! Lets hope they ate it and it didnt go in a garbage can.I have people all the time give me crap about releasing fish. I had a guy try to grab fish out of my hands as i was releasing fish at rainier beach. People dont understand c and r. Dont dwell on it and keep catchin and releasing!:compress:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 am

Better that he kept it and ate it than what I saw at Lake Meridian game dept. launch last week. Someone cut the head of an 8 or bigger Largemouth and left the body at the side of the boat launch. Don't know if it fell off their car because they forgot to put it inside, or they just threw it away.
Tom.

Interests: living

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:32 am

Oh man, sorry to hear about that FM ! That would definetly tick me off also. I can't believe what AMX posted too, I fish that lake all the time. #-o
aka Powerworm

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 am

Good post, I have 2 secret lakes that I have been fishing for the past year and half. I have heard rumors of kids taking home similar bass of that size. 2 over 6 were taken in the lake that I live on as well..I do preach a little bit to the kids when I am out on my lake to make sure they release all the bass, but I feel ya FM-
"One more......."

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I can only imagine being 12 and catching a fish that big, it would go home, hell for that fact I would probably keep it today. Catch and Release has its place but keeping ONE fish does not hurt the population of that lake, there are probably many more as big if not bigger. The people that take a limit of 5 bass hurt the lake more than that one fish. Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:16 pm

a bass that size takes a long time and i dought that there are alot in the lake. and that bass if it was a female could have passed on its jeans to hundreds of fish. a picture is just as good anyway because big bass are from what i hear not very good to eat.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Any Bass in Wa. State over, say 2 lbs is usually female. I don't think a male will grow over 3 or 4 lbs here. So I've heard.
Tom.

Interests: living