Bass, and this crazy weather!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Bass, and this crazy weather!

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:11 am

I fished Martha Lake (AM) last evening, and didnt get a single bite. I was in my float tube, using Senkos, switching from Purple to Green. Obviously weather affects fish, but what details do you guys know about how these weather fronts affect bass? Its been rainy and cold for about a week now, and the next week its supposed to be the same. Will I be wasting my time on the lakes? Also, insight into lure color would be great (what works good for cloudy, sunny, etc...).

Thanks!
Banks lake for LIFE!

2010 Big Fish Competition:
SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Trent Hale
Commander

RE:Bass, and this crazy weather!

Post by Trent Hale » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:48 am

When the weather cools the bass will move deeper. I've been out the past two weeks and the water temp has droped down to 61 or cooler in other lakes and they will go deeper to more stable water. Keep on with the colors your using just toss them deeper.Or try black.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 am

When a cold front hits this time of year and the bass were up shallow preparing for the spawn, they will normally pull out to the nearest deeper cover. Try targeting docks that go out over deeper water and brush and lay downs on steeper banks. A lot of times they are absolutely buried in the brush and logs and just pitching around them wont get a bite, you have to pitch into the middle of them, so a stiff rod and heavy line are recommended. Even with the cold weather, the water is still relatively warm and the bass have to eat to keep up their metabolism, so if you find where they are the fishing can be really good. There are some big bass up feeding right now and when a cold front hits they will pull into predictable areas that are quite accessible to fish. This is a time where accuracy really comes into play with your casts, and a foot in the wrong direction is the difference between no bites and a great day. Pay close attention to every cast, and take your time getting into the perfect position to make the perfect cast to each piece of cover.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Nik wrote:When a cold front hits this time of year and the bass were up shallow preparing for the spawn, they will normally pull out to the nearest deeper cover. Try targeting docks that go out over deeper water and brush and lay downs on steeper banks. A lot of times they are absolutely buried in the brush and logs and just pitching around them wont get a bite, you have to pitch into the middle of them, so a stiff rod and heavy line are recommended. Even with the cold weather, the water is still relatively warm and the bass have to eat to keep up their metabolism, so if you find where they are the fishing can be really good. There are some big bass up feeding right now and when a cold front hits they will pull into predictable areas that are quite accessible to fish. This is a time where accuracy really comes into play with your casts, and a foot in the wrong direction is the difference between no bites and a great day. Pay close attention to every cast, and take your time getting into the perfect position to make the perfect cast to each piece of cover.

Well said NIK , your on the money !!=d>

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:27 pm

So with these situations and weather would you turn to a jig before you tied on a worm? How about a C-rig.

I'm interested in trying out some new buzzbaits, but I'm thinking we are a few weeks out from heavy topwater action.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:18 pm

Try reaction lures in this weather, cranks and spinnerbaits.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Now the water is warming up again they might spawn all over again or finish what they started.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Trent Hale wrote: Now the water is warming up again they might spawn all over again or finish what they started.
I found a couple that have been in the same area not spawning for over a month but the bed is sure clean:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:32 am

Well, I hit Silver lake (everett) yesterday, and stickney last Thursday, but nothing. I'm getting tired of catching nothing. Banks lake sure spoils a guy! I plan on going to Goodwin on Wednesday. Perhaps then I might catch something. I have been using senkos (even took the advice and got pumpkin color), spinners, and even tried those Wally Divers someone recommended. Whats going on here?
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:48 am

SnohoBassGuy wrote: I'm getting tired of catching nothing.
Tell me about it! I hit West Medical for some trout on Saturday and Liberty Lake on Sunday for LMB and both days... nothing.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 am

SnohoBassGuy wrote:Well, I hit Silver lake (everett) yesterday, and stickney last Thursday, but nothing. I'm getting tired of catching nothing. Banks lake sure spoils a guy! I plan on going to Goodwin on Wednesday. Perhaps then I might catch something. I have been using senkos (even took the advice and got pumpkin color), spinners, and even tried those Wally Divers someone recommended. Whats going on here?
Extended cold weather and constantly shifting pressure fronts are making bassin' a task. You either have to put it right in front of them or piss them off enough to reaction strike, and even then they have to REALLY want to put that energy into a reaction hit.

I fished Trout Lake for a few hours yesterday evening and the water is warming up. That should turn them on. Got a few hits on a Mann's Frog (pumpkinseed and yellow) in the pads and edges of grass, but only after letting it sink to the bottom and *slowly* tapping it along. Give us 2 weeks of 68+ temps and the bass will be hitting it like gangbusters.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:21 am

Lets hope so. Otherwise, I'm gonna spend my time golfing lol.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:33 pm

SnohoBassGuy wrote:Lets hope so. Otherwise, I'm gonna spend my time golfing lol.
Heresy!!! [-x
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Hey, a day of fishing is nice, but a day of catching is even better!
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Bassing has been weird this spring. I know some of the small ponds I fish are spawning, and these lakes should have been done a month ago...Lake Washington smallies still have me confused, I'm not finding them in my normal spots....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Marty
Angler

Post by Marty » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:23 am

Remember... the worst day of fishing is still better than a good day @ work!! I'll be getting out soon to see how they are doing up North here. I may have to be a little patient and wait for a little warmer weather.