Keeping a fishing log

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bob johansen
Commander

Keeping a fishing log

Post by bob johansen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:47 pm

As a new year of fishing begins, I would like to suggest that anglers keep a complete fishing log of every trip -- even skunks. I have kept a log of every trip for more than 30 years and find it not only useful for future trips but just enjoyable to have and read now and then. Although, I have recorded every fishing trip, it is the bass trips I enjoy most. I record the name of lake, the name of county, weight and length of fish, the lure, fishing alone or with buddy and most of the time I add the weather. It is easy and takes only a few minutes to jot down. Keep it on your computer or just in a note pad. Tight lines and good luck on the water for the new year of 2008.:sunny:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

dilbert
Captain

RE:Keeping a fishing log

Post by dilbert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Here's my template that I use...
Then I transfer the info from the paper to a fishing report here and add photos.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Keeping a fishing log is a very good idea. Information like time of year, fish species, location, water temperature, water clarity, weather conditions, lures that work, lures that don't work, etc could save a lot of time for future fishing trips.
This is the perfect application for a computer database because it could be easily queried with "what if" scenarios. For example, you may be planning a future fishing trip and ask yourself "What lakes have been most productive in mid-August? What lures worked best, and what were the best colors? What kind of cover do <X> fish favor at this time of year, and at what depth? What works when the water is murky? What works when the water is clear? What are the best times to fish (AM/PM/mid-day)?". If there was a standardized schema (fancy word for database structure), the information could even be shared with other fishermen.
WL has a database of fishing reports, but the data is free-form text and cannot be easily queried. A structured database could be a very cool feature, but it would definitely take some serious effort to put together.

:-k
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:33 pm

dilbert wrote:Here's my template that I use...
Then I transfer the info from the paper to a fishing report here and add photos.
Dilbert, your form is awesome! I had not considered moon phases, wind, and barometer. Thanks!
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:36 pm

I wouldn't need the blocks for heavy rain, snow or sleet/hail as I'd be inside on those days.#-o

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:44 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
dilbert wrote:Here's my template that I use...
Dilbert, your form is awesome! I had not considered moon phases, wind, and barometer. Thanks!
Thanks. It's a composite of a few forms that I found online re organized to be more compact and contain the information I'm interested in.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:43 pm

Dilbert- I give you props for the form. I have even downloaded it and saved it to the computer. Now we need to find a way to get away from the women in our life and catch some fish for pete's sake. I have even completed logs for all of last year. Funny thing though...I think that I used the same color to catch each of my fish. Time for a change. New bait color - Secret Japanese Color:-$

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Also available in Word format...

I use the PDF one to print it using "fit to paper" on 8.5x11 paper. The word one is 11x17.
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Very nice work dibert!

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:34 pm

lol that lil cartoon it comes w/ is awesome.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:52 pm

Bob, you should put a book together with all your info., I would pay to look through your logs. :study:

Cool tracking form dilbert. Great idea.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:52 am

I started keeping a visual log this past summer on the maps of lakes I had been fishing. I started w/ the topo's from this site and added detail as I discovered nuances about that particular body of water. Not anything like Dilbert's log, but it works for me.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:39 am

I just downloaded the PDF, very cool!

Can we get a topo of Long Lake/Lake Spokane on the site?

E

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Dilbert's log may be a great idea for some anglers but it wouldn't work for me. Years ago, I recieved, as a gift, a little 3 ring folder called "The Complete Fisherman's Log Book" containing several pages to log information. It was indeed a thoughful gift from a person who knew I kept a fishing log. It was quite similar to Dilbert's idea. I only used it briefly. I like to keep a log, more like a short story, about each trip containing all the imformation I want to remember. I keep a note pad in the boat and sometimes make notes of things I want in the log. No matter which style you prefer, I think a fishing log can be a very rewarding and enjoyable addition to all your fishing trips.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:10 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:I started keeping a visual log this past summer on the maps of lakes I had been fishing. I started w/ the topo's from this site and added detail as I discovered nuances about that particular body of water. Not anything like Dilbert's log, but it works for me.
That would be a good addition to Dilberts log. Especially for remembering discovered structure or where not to throw your stuff.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:49 pm

coming in our next update will be member pages which you will be able to modify AND a stronger search function to narrow searches. Fishing logs are great but remember posting your reports AND pictures (and soon, you'll be able to use a push-pin on the lake map to ID spots you caught fish) will give you a digital record which will last as long as we do. Which, BTW, I expect to be until the day I die and beyond...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm

I used to keep a logbook, but I got too lazy to maintain one. It's still makes for good winter reading. It's on my to-do list for the upcoming season. By the way, I like carrying a small photo brag book with snapshots of my fish to show off where ever I go.

Looking forward to the updates. That will be cool.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:55 am

Mike Carey wrote:coming in our next update will be member pages which you will be able to modify AND a stronger search function to narrow searches. Fishing logs are great but remember posting your reports AND pictures (and soon, you'll be able to use a push-pin on the lake map to ID spots you caught fish) will give you a digital record which will last as long as we do. Which, BTW, I expect to be until the day I die and beyond...
Great way for many anglers to save their fishing records. However, I think many anglers will be reluctant to post their skunk trips or perhaps secret location trips -- or maybe other information. I will continue to post fishing reports on WL but will also continue to keep a personal record. Fish On!!:cheers:

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:05 am

So will this new feature be open for everyone to see or something each person can do and keep to ourselves with our own login name?

I'm with basstracker...I dont mind scoring my skunks but I also wouldn't want to post my hard work for the world to see.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 pm

danielt wrote: I'm with basstracker...I dont mind scoring my skunks but I also wouldn't want to post my hard work for the world to see.
+1

I keep marks on my printed copies of topo maps. It's hard enough posting photos while trying to obscure some of the locations.