These Portable Sonar FishFinders - Anyone try them?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raptorbite
Angler

These Portable Sonar FishFinders - Anyone try them?

Post by raptorbite » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I am too cheap to get a boat and drive a car which can't haul a boat of any size. Have looked into those floats though which carry one person and can be blown up by an air pump. Just fish on shore/banks and most often role up my pants and get a little bit wet. Today actually saw 3 kids riding in an Intex and it looked like it would hold all 3 just fine. Going to stop by Dicks later this week to see how much they cost.

So anyway, I just found this site called FishHunter which sells this little red floating thing which uses sonar to figure out the depth of the land below the water as well as find fish. I got an iphone so it wouldn't cost too much to get it. It is small enough to carry anywhere. Has anyone tried this one or something similar?

There is a video I found of this guy using it and it seems to work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAgvrqbymQ. That is not the FishHunter device and app though.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: These Portable Sonar FishFinders - Anyone try them?

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:52 am

Never used one but that seems kinda spendy. Are they cheaper at another outlet?
I know that they sell things for pontoons and rafts that you could have a motor and battery in the raft with you. I got a Eagle fish finder for $79 dollars and made it portable with a piece of wood with a bolt on the transducer and a c-clamp attaching it to my boat.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 am

Toni wrote:Never used one but that seems kinda spendy. Are they cheaper at another outlet?
I know that they sell things for pontoons and rafts that you could have a motor and battery in the raft with you. I got a Eagle fish finder for $79 dollars and made it portable with a piece of wood with a bolt on the transducer and a c-clamp attaching it to my boat.
x2. You can get inexpensive fish finders now for under $100 new and cheaper used. Most can easily be made portable with a small 12v battery such as those used in kids ride on toys and in house alarm backups systems. Humminbird even makes an all-in-one unit called the fishing buddy that I think runs on alkaline batteries. Image

The plus side of all of these are that they're are also water resistant, so no worries about fishing in the rain or getting splashed on, unlike the iPhone.

I have a Humminbird that I've made portable by mounting it to a chunk of 1x6 and the transducer to a 1x4. Works great.

FWIW.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:02 am

BentRod wrote:
x2. You can get inexpensive fish finders now for under $100 new and cheaper used. Most can easily be made portable with a small 12v battery such as those used in kids ride on toys and in house alarm backups systems.

I have a Humminbird that I've made portable by mounting it to a chunk of 1x6 and the transducer to a 1x4. Works great.

FWIW.
That is what I did with mine. Fishing buddies clamp wouldn't work on my gunnels and my screen is bigger and it still cost less.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:55 am

I've been using the hummingbird fishin buddy for about 10 years. mine has a side finder on it too. have zero complaints except for the price of the C batteries it takes

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm

I have a hawkeye I bought from walmart. It works for 2-3 minutes then stops working.

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:06 am

I actually have a lightly used Humminbird 140c Fishin' Buddy with sock (can be secured around smaller diameter tubes) for sale at a decent price I'd get rid of. Also have a lowrance elite 4x hdi brand new open box for sale as well.