Late Fall/Winter Bassin?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Late Fall/Winter Bassin?

Post by kevinb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Is anyone out there as dumb as me? :-" OK,don't answer yet.....

I fish all through the year for trout and ski's. Rain,snow,wind..etc.. doesn't stop me.
I have a case of the bass bug. Just curious if anyone has any tips on catching smallies or lmb in these weather situations
or should I just leave 'em alone until after the spawn?

fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Late Fall/Winter Bassin?

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Smallies and Largemouth will start going deeper as the year gets later

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:16 am

I guess I'm more curious about lures.
Slow moving cranks? Jigs? etc.

Also seeing if anyone fishes bass this late in the year....winter

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 am

LMB dont always go deeper,if you have a body of water with a max depth of 8' or like 20' but have no structure just flat bottom,welp looks like your gonna be flippin shallow cover.Just make quiet presentations and fish slow.2 lakes that this resembles silver "cowlitz co" and swafford pond"lewis county" and swafford freezes almost over.Kevin get out and fish cause you dont wanna miss the fall feeding schedule.Im hoping to get a PB this fall for LMB.Im going to probably just throw swim's, cranks,spinnerbaits,and flip jigs or swim jigs thats probably all you will need dont make it to complicated just have fun:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:17 am

SPARKY101 wrote:LMB dont always go deeper,if you have a body of water with a max depth of 8' or like 20' but have no structure just flat bottom,welp looks like your gonna be flippin shallow cover.Just make quiet presentations and fish slow.2 lakes that this resembles silver "cowlitz co" and swafford pond"lewis county" and swafford freezes almost over
Perfect... Thank you Sparky:salut:

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 am

Cranks of all kinds Kevin,..and like Sparky said,..S-L-O-W-D-O-W-N,..the colder water will make the Bass a bit more lathargic,..I'd still cast 2 docks and cover,..play the weedlines 2,..and be prepared for your PB 2 hit!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:03 am

Spring & fall are similar when it comes to presentation. An often overlooked factor is lure weight. Too often anglers go with heavy lures because they are easier to cast -- especially when using a baitcasting rig. 9 times out of 10, bass will prefer a lure that falls slowly (and doesn't fall straight down). For example, weightless senkos don't fall straight down. They fall slowly, and tend to "wobble" as they fall. Also, and since senkos have more weight in the rear, they glide backwards on a slack line. If you add a giant bullet weight, a senko can be used in deep water but all of the subtle traits that make the senko so effective will be lost. Using a Carolina rig is a good compromise if you fish deep. Since the weight isn't directly attached to the lure, you still get most of the positive behaviors that you'd get with a weightless lure + you can fish it deep, no problem-o.

If your lures "swim", that's a totally different paradigm. When a swimming lure is paused, it should either rise slowly or remain motionless. A swimming lure that stops & immediately sinks like a rock is unnatural. That's probably why the "swimming senko" was not a big hit with bass anglers... :-k
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Senkos again man you just cant get to far away from them#-o Hey HG i posted a technique you can use for a deep senko and wont lose the famous wiggle from the bic pen award lure its in the band camp section.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice folks,looks like I need to get myself some senko's.
Does anyone in here target bass in the dead of winter? or target something else?
Just wondering if I'm the only psycho(or idiot) to do this.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:35 pm

You can bass fish all year if you want. It will just require a whole lot of patience, that which we all know you don't have. :clown:
I like to call it "Winter Worm Dragging". I wrote an article about it down in Cali years ago but can't find it on that forum. I'll keep looking.
Basically, slow is the way to go. And you can never go slow enough. Plus, scent is important this time of year. If they're sitting there staring at your bait and have keyed in on the movement and look of your bait the next thing would be the smell. Something you want to have right. Unless your bumping them on the nose your not going to be getting a reaction stike in the dead of winter. Expecially when they are as lethargic and finicky as they will be during winter time.
My winter baits will either consist of creature baits or small offerings such as a small tube, cut tail worm or a panic minnow.
I'm still wanting to get out on Lk Wa and try an Ice Jig for the Smallmouth. Never tried it but feel it would be an effective technique.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:25 pm

SPARKY101 wrote:Senkos again man you just cant get to far away from them#-o Hey HG i posted a technique you can use for a deep senko and wont lose the famous wiggle from the bic pen award lure its in the band camp section.
If it ain't broke, why fix it? I caught my biggest largmouth of the year on a 4" senko...
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 pm

The water temp hasn't droped that much. Just like spring the hawgs will come alive as it cools. Been doing well with jigs!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 pm

I'm a winter basser... be prepared for a painfully slow time, but that makes any catch more rewarding. I will be using suspending jerkbaits this year with my usual weightless plastics on standby.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:15 pm

I think from now until the lakes freeze is the best time for big fish.
We started fishing Potholes last week and the Smallmouth are on the move.
We get our biggest Smallmouth and Walleyes in October and November.
We find more Large mouths on the dam this time of the year.
Best big fish bait last year was Storms Wild eye swim bait in a Perch pattern, 4 inch.
Three inch Curly Tail grubs on a 1/16th to 1/4 oz jig head has been a go-to bait for years.
I used to hang up my rod and grab a shotgun the first of September.
Then I discovered the fall bite.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:34 pm

You're killing me!!!

I've been working long hours + weekends and can't even remember the last time I went fishing... :-({|=
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:27 pm

We have found some very nice fish in with the duck hunters over at Winchester and Frenchmans Wasteway that feed into the Potholes. They tend to move out of the shallow ponds and back into the main stream....and there are some decent fish. OK really big fish. Just used a canoe to go down a ways, and then paddled back upstream. It was not too much current.
Brianh
Panic Minnows
"Rain or Shine, I'm going fishin"

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:25 pm

YellowBear wrote:I think from now until the lakes freeze is the best time for big fish.
We started fishing Potholes last week and the Smallmouth are on the move.
We get our biggest Smallmouth and Walleyes in October and November.
We find more Large mouths on the dam this time of the year.
Best big fish bait last year was Storms Wild eye swim bait in a Perch pattern, 4 inch.
Three inch Curly Tail grubs on a 1/16th to 1/4 oz jig head has been a go-to bait for years.
I used to hang up my rod and grab a shotgun the first of September.
Then I discovered the fall bite.
Great info,thank you.