senkos?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ChrisB
Captain

RE:senkos?

Post by ChrisB » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:35 am

delyakguy wrote:Has anyone hooked them tail 1st? Last month I was w/o my tacklebox and Senko was TORE up from fish. Hooked tail 1st and got some good action. Works with bigger(4+), smaller 3's are about symetrical. Try it sometime!
Yes, I flip them around and rig them tail first when they get torn too. Call me cheap, but it works.

Good to see you here too Tag !! Don't spend too much time here, you still have to get out often and send me pics of all them hawgs you're catching. :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:22 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:Great info guys. I may have to get some for my daughter (9) to use to get her hooked. I bought a few for myself last week to give them a shot as I have never used 'em. Would have been nice for some of those slllooooooowwww days I have had the past few weeks.
Take her with you the next time you buy them and ask her to pick whatever color she wants. I did that with my daughter and picked bubble gum pink, as "unmanly" as is gets you know. I tried to steer her away from that but she was adamant and I had told whatever color.

So I finally get to use them last summer in Cali. First cast, t-rigged weightless, a country mile away, smash! I started laughing really hard. The senko was no longer T-rig-able so I wacky rigged it and cast it to the same spot. Bam!!! When I say my daughter later that day, I thanked her and told her that they worked great and caught two bass with two casts.

Them pinkies are in the tackle bag all the time.:batman:

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:39 pm

Anyone every tried cutting your senko up like on the following youtube video? It looks like a sweet idea when the fishing is slow.

sXYfheJr-zY&NR=1

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:58 pm

I bet it works... anybody used the great big like 7" senkos that he has in the video? Lunker grabbers?

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:30 pm

I got bored over the winter and created little "teaser tails" for my senkos. Still not sure if they make a difference since the bass bite has been slow. I've been busy catching buckets of trout on ultralight gear w/small jigs. Practice makes perfect, and I know exactly what they like. Jig patterns & colors make a big difference and so does presentation, but I digress...

Senkos are relatively stiff by design. Marabou looks fat & "poofy" when dry, but it's VERY fluid and thin when wet. From a bass perspective, it might look like guts hanging out. :-k Being able to add a touch of color is also a neat option. The combinations are endless!

Here's a pic of some prototypes:

Piscatory Geekus Maximus

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:52 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:I got bored over the winter and created little "teaser tails" for my senkos. Still not sure if they make a difference since the bass bite has been slow. I've been busy catching buckets of trout on ultralight gear w/small jigs. Practice makes perfect, and I know exactly what they like. Jig patterns & colors make a big difference and so does presentation, but I digress...

Senkos are relatively stiff by design. Marabou looks fat & "poofy" when dry, but it's VERY fluid and thin when wet. From a bass perspective, it might look like guts hanging out. :-k Being able to add a touch of color is also a neat option. The combinations are endless!

Here's a pic of some prototypes:

IMHO, that is an awesome addition to an already decent lure. Great idea and thanks for sharing.

Roc
Petty Officer

Post by Roc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:15 pm

what keeps a bass from swollowing the trailer? Might be a problem imho

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:15 am

Roc wrote:what keeps a bass from swollowing the trailer? Might be a problem imho
I was wondering the same thing. How well do those things stay on?

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:03 am

fishman123 wrote:
Roc wrote:what keeps a bass from swollowing the trailer? Might be a problem imho
I was wondering the same thing. How well do those things stay on?
They seem to stay on pretty well because of the barb. Again, I've only tried them once earlier in the year so there may be room for improvement.

As far as swallowing goes, if a fish swallows the senko he's going to swallow everything. On the bright side, the wire that I use comes from the hobby store and it is not nearly as thick as most hooks. It's not sharp either. In other words, if a fish swallows the senko, it will have more trouble passing the hook than the teaser tail.

This is just a prototype of a goofy idea and it might be a total waste of time. If bass are actively feeding and you put a senko in front of them, they are going to hit it -- with our without the teaser tail. The only time the tail might make a difference is when bass are feeling a little finicky and want to take a close look at a potential meal before consuming it. That tiny little bit of extra color or wiggle might do the trick. And it might not. #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

spadam98
Petty Officer

Post by spadam98 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey just wanted to just say thank you for all the info i found in this section i just tryed senkos for my first time. I used a 5in watermelon color worm rigged weightless on Long Lake caught 4 smallmouth this way one was only a couple inches bigger then the worm the other 3 were around 12 inches. So thanks again to all of you that post how to use these wonderful baits
Brian

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:36 am

Good to see you here Tag! Haven't tried Senkos yet,..gonna purchase some though,..can't hurt to have in my arsenal,..great feedback on the post guys,..can't wait to read more from you Tag!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Do they make 12in. If they did I would use them!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Did someone say "Senko"?

I Caught this largie today on a 4" senko (see report for more detail).

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Wave Worms Tiki Sticks!

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;