Deep water structure fishing questions?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Deep water structure fishing questions?

Post by Bmastro777 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Ok guys, so as some of you know I'm more of a shallow water largemouth (docks,pads, timber, etc) fisherman. Recently trying to figure out these smallies around here. I'm having good success early in the year when the spawn is on but finding it difficult to venture out into the deeper water where they hold in the summer months. I grew up in Minnesota where during the fishing season largemouth could be caught in shallow water all season long, so I never had to go deeper to find fish. Here are a couple questions I have so far and your replies will be greatly appreciated.
1. I have a hummingbird 565 sonar. Should I upgrade to something better?
- What type of structure should be be looking for?
2. Mostly draggin a Carolina rig right now with a half ounce bullet weight. Is this a good weight?
- I'm also finding that its tough to drag the sinker through the weedbeds and basically ruins the entire cast, any suggestions?
3. I've never tried drop shotting, how and when/where is this method productive?

Thanks! One more thing, does the fishing HEAT up here for bass in the fall also? Shallow or deep?

bass kickin redneck
Petty Officer

Re: Deep water structure fishing questions?

Post by bass kickin redneck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Rig up a drop shot and find drop offs with structure (stumps,logs,rocks) cast up on the flat towards shore and work the bait towards the drop off. That's just how i do it hope this helps
Shut up and fish

Eoso
Warrant Officer

Post by Eoso » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Carolina rigs are very rare in this part of the country when compared to where you're from. Dropshot and Football heads are where it's at. Get good electronics that can show you the structure and slight differences you need to find the fish. There are definitely better smallie people on this site that can chime in to help. Another option I would recommend if you have the time is joining a bass club. You'll learn much more than way and shorten the learning curve for this region as well as make new fishing buddies.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:32 am

Carolina Rigs work great in the weeds, just make sure the worm is rigged texas style-weedless, same with the dropshot when you fish the weeds, or even the logs. Just pull it slow to work it thru the weeds and not try to horse the rig thru, just wiggle it thru, gives the fish something most people don't do. I don't limit myself to pulling a dropshot or Carolina rig downhill, lots of times I'll pull them uphill. Same with a jigs, right thru the weeds, and either downhill or uphill, vary it.

Deep cranks can work good. And don't forget the venerable plastic worm and lizard. Even a slow rolled spinnerbait down at 20 or 30 feet deep, a half oz or bigger works to get it down quick and keep it down there, even hop a spinnerbait some.
Tom.

Interests: living

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:54 am

If you're fishing Lake washington and sammamish, look for the weedline. It's the edge of the weeds on your depth finder ranging from 17 to 24'. Drop shotting where the weedlines meet deepwater docks is high percentage areas. Carolina rigging works in the weedline, but seem to have better luck with drop shotting.

Try 3/4 oz football heads with twin tail grubs in rock piles on points and humps. Early mornign and evening.

Bmastro777
Warrant Officer

Post by Bmastro777 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the replies!

3footvis
Warrant Officer

Post by 3footvis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Look for gravelly shorelines with deep docks. Usually there will be some open and non weedy areas under and around the docks. Use a dropshot right next to the pilings/shady area/or under the dock. I've been having good luck lately with 3" berkley power minnows in silver baitfish patterns. There are a lot of sticklebacks & salmon smolts in the lake which are good to mimic.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:55 am

I use tube jigs most of the year. One thing to remember is that smallies prefer rocky structure, not so much weeds like larges do. Any sonar that shows the bottom well will work. You don't need to spend a ton of money. Look for large rock piles on your graph, and watch the shore line for ideas where to go. When I am out I look for larger rocks along the shore. I start working the shore then go deeper until I find them. Cast the tube and let is settle to the bottom, then drag and hop it along the bottom, trying to imitate a craw or feed fish. The weight depends on the situation, and the fish. If there is a currant, then go heavier. If the fish are not wanting to hit go lighter and slower. The best thing to do is get out fishing and try everybody's suggestions and experiment until you find what works for you.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Fishing drop shot for SMB on the outside weed edges is a big thing. It is not as new as people think, I have been doing a version of it for over 40 years, but I sure do appreciate the drop shot weights available, and the improvement in hooks. This is probably one of the easiest way to target deep fish, SMB, LMB, perch, walleye, trout, .... you get the point.

Rocks are indeed a great SMB target, but the suggestions you have received about the weed lines is even better. To believe SMB target only Crayfish would be the same as thinking people only eat at McDonalds. SMB take up residence where food is available. I would have to say that most Bass are not going to be around the rocks most of the time. Still, if they are available, don't be shy about checking them out if they are located on otherwise good structure.

Other ways are still quite effective in deep water. Some crank baits can get down that deep, but anything over about 15 to 20 feet gets pretty problematic. Most of the deep divers are so large that it precludes most SMB, but not all. Other options are blade baits, split shot rigs, swimming jigs, Texas rigs.... it all depends on how fast you want to cover water and how skilled you are.

If I wanted to teach someone how to deep water structure fish for anything, I would have one rod rigged with a drop shot and one rigged with a swimming jig. The latter would cover water and the former would allow for less active fish. With these two options, with the appropriate choice of baits, you can catch almost any species of game fish.

PS, I would have killed to have the quality of fish finder you have when I was first learning the deep water game. You are well enough equipped.