Cool Spring Weather

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
rjn cajun
Captain

Cool Spring Weather

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm

I wanted some of your opinons on the cold spring weather we are having and how much it has affected your bass fishing or bass fishing in general. I have yet to catch anything the few times I`ve been out. You can see on my reports I`ve been trying just about everything. I`ve even stuck with the same thing for hours with nothing but a few bites. Has the weather delayed the spawn? Is anyone seeing beds? Without giving away secrets how do you fish em and what are you using when they just won`t bite. I fished kapowsin today and hit alot of shore more than I have ever covered in one day and still nothing. I`m stumped.:-k Need some help from my fellow anglers.:colors:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Cool Spring Weather

Post by Amx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:50 pm

cold rain in the springtime = no fish.

My belief is that all the cold rain keeps turning off the fish as the rain keeps making the water colder instead of letting it warm up. Warming water even at 53 degrees we caught fish. Water cooling off at 61-59 degrees and no fish.

Probably have to fish deep, about 15 feet, and slow.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:53 pm

On Kapowsin, out away from the shore and deeper, or under the logs, down along the standing trees, and close to the trees.
Tom.

Interests: living

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I hit Chambers last Sunday and caught 2 - the first on a 7.5" black and blue Roboworm Texas-rigged in about 18" of water, the second on a black and blue creature bait weightless and a fast retrieve on top, in about 2' of water. 4 hours between the 2 fish, so it's slow.

Chambers warms up quickly but was only 60. I bet it would still be 60, tops, given the past week of weather. I doubt you'll see much in the way of a spawn - they may be moving in and holding close in the shallows, but I doubt they'll be bedding up just yet.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:56 pm

I've been out a couple times and I agree, the cooler weather has slowed the prespawn, the fish that were in prespawn last week actually started spawning, not a lot, but a few, I think it was the full moon this week that got a few spawning. Don't worry, once the warm weather hits, it won't take long for the fish to start.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

I think this is a good topic. I see alot of people veiwing. Hoping to get alot of good info out of this one.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

i was bank fishing at Lake Meridian yesterday off the dock. Fishing in the shallow. Was able to get 1 small SMB, about 11-12".

There was a small fish hanging out of it's throat. Had a bunch of small followers, but those wouldnt bite.:-"

BucketMouthCatcher
Petty Officer

Post by BucketMouthCatcher » Sat May 01, 2010 10:57 am

I've found fish are bouncin back and forth. I've seen beds , but they are empty. Most of the fish moved back out deeper. Some stayed shallow but are negative. Try a slow presentation with lots of pausing/deadsticking. suspending jerkbaits and jig and 420 beavers are working for me still , but fishing has slowed down for me too for sure. I think it will pick up as soon as the weather settles into a warming trend again. Next weekend should provide a crazy good prespawn bite.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sat May 01, 2010 11:27 pm

These past few weeks have been tuff but I'm still catching bass in shallow off docks. I am only getting one quality fish per outing lately, but seeing numbers of big bass early and evenings every day out. I'm expecting a layoff and am so glad things have been postponed a bit. I'm looking forward to having nothing but time to fish. Water temp highest has been 54.5 but averages about 50 or so.

Remember Bass are programed to only do 2 things, eat and reproduce. They want to come in, thats what the Bass are programed to do. There is no magical water temp to get them to hold on docks and cruise. Of coarse water that is warmer gets you more bites but Ive nailed some true giants during this unusual weather and they have been feeding big time. Even the smaller 4 1/2 pounders are built like tanks- been eating good fore awhile now. Can't wait till things explode, with large numbers of fish shallow!

Last winter I found numbers of big bass on docks in November on a certain lake. Most lakes are barren like the moon when you get off the bank, docks sometimes are the best cover and sructure available and a good food source.
In the past few weeks I've seen Bass move up on docks as I am fishing them, usually later afternoon or early evenings.

Inactive bass will even hold up under docks and not move or bite lures, I've moved up to peak and was blown away about whats up under there. It comes down to not giving up, fish thoroughly and slowly. Just two things on their mind! Both will bring them shallow.
Oh Momma!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 02, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun May 02, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm with spindog on this one. I'm catching fish every time out off docks and fallen timber. I may only get two-four fish but they are nice fish.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:39 am

It's really figuring out the pattern. I fish year around, and right now there eating if you can find them. If you were to put 10 guys on any given lake there will be bags caught by some, while others may not even get a bite. Hey Cajun, if your getting a few bites then you probably lost a few fish. Stick those bad boys. When we are in these crappy weather patterns, every bite counts. #1 thing, I beleive strongly....time on the water, no matter the weather.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:15 am

I haven't been updating my fishing journal very well(DOH!) I have been on the water about 17-18 times this year I think, and caught bass at probably a slightly better than 50% average. However..... they've been decent fish, IMO. and when I have intentionally targeted structure, branches, etc I've been rewarded more and more.

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 am

There are a ton of variables but for me it comes down to what body of water you are fishing and how those fish have adapted to their environment. On Lake Wa for example I’ve learned over the years that those fish rely more on the length of the days then they do the water temps as far as when they move up shallow (less than 25’) and stay there. If the temps drop they will still be up shallow. They may feed less or require a reaction bite approach but they will stay up shallow for the most part. It takes a huge drop in temps to back those fish up. That goes for largemouths and smallmouths on that lake. But right down the road on Sammamish the fish rely much more on water temps as their main indicator. Let the temp slip a few degrees out there and the fish will back off to weed lines, breaks, or rock piles just outside the flats. If it the temps go way down they may set back up on the deep edge of points and wait a few days before moving back up. If the temps are 49+ you can pattern smallies relatively shallow. If it’s 51+, you can pattern largemouths relatively shallow. When all else fails start on deep structure and work your way to the banks from there. You’ll find them. Right now points, bridges, docks and shoreline brush are holding some hogs on almost every lake I’ve been on. The biggest fish are up right now.

Lure selection is pretty straight forward, jigs (sweet beavers, bitsy bugs, etc) for fish holding tight on structure and not really in a positive feeding mood. Senkos for cruising fish, and swimbaits for the fat ladies on the hunt and holding on brush, points, and docks eating 8” stocker’s :nemo: lol. But stick with what you have the most confidence in and focus on hitting the right areas of the lake your fishing. Those fish are there.
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page