Finding the weedline....never thought it'd be this hard

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Finding the weedline....never thought it'd be this hard

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:24 am

Hey everybody yesterday i went to Crescent lake and tried to focus in on finding the deeper fish on the weedlines. And I had no action. In the shallows earlier in the day I had a few fish and all was well. But as the clock rolls past 10 and onto noon I lose most my fish. I try to locate them on these weedlines through carolina rigged plastics and jigs, but no luck. I feel lost and am not sure if I have the right approach or the right location or both are wrong.

What is the main weedline on a lake with the visibility of about 6 feet? I see some hydrilla weeds barely as I search for this weedline, is it close to those? The lake is pretty much a perfect bowl so structure is very limited. There are docks though.

Do you guys use any search baits on those weedlines that are effective? I really don't think the bigger fish like crankbaits on my lake. The big ones bite on the plastics and not much else.

Any help would be golden. This is a part of my fishin skills where I'm just a noobie.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Finding the weedline....never thought it'd be this hard

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Actually crank baits are probably the best deep weed line searching tool. I get a deep diver, cast parallel at different depths, and see if I come up weedy. If I do, I move out a little, if not, I move closer to shore.

Soon you will have the weed edge found, drop a marker, and go to the next spot. Soon you will have a milk run established.

Of course, a quality "fish finder" will graph the weeds faster.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:45 pm

As archer says, a quality graph will make things much easier along with polarized glasses. You will be amazed how much more you can see with quality glasses. I also like crankbaits, but use lipless cranbaits. They will self clean easier with a quick jerk and increase odds of catching while searching. I also like a 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz spinnerbait.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:28 am

How about if i end up catchin smaller bass on those type of lures? That is usually the case. Is that still a good sign and says I'm close? Do you guys got an estimate at about how far out this weedline is from visible lily pads? Maybe like no more than 50 feet from the pads on a steady slope?

skeeter bassin
Lieutenant

Post by skeeter bassin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:04 am

From my experience it will vary from lake to lake, and in alot of cases from one part of the lake to another. Some of the lakes I fish there will be a weedline that starts in about 12' and will be about 8'-12' wide, in another part of the lake the weedband will start in 16', and yet in another part in 6'. In other lakes it will be more consistent. The larger fish are going to take up habitat in the prime haunts, that being the best cover ( stumps, laydowns, etc). If you can see them look for transitions in the weeds, this will also tend to hold bass. Earlier in the day target the inside weedline, this is when the fish will usually be shallower feeding, then later move to the outside weedline. If you cant find good cover, plant your own (old X-mas trees, etc.) and mark it on your GPS.

Hopefully others will give feedback, this is also one of my weakest areas. Right now is tough as we are going into postpawn and the fish are beginning to move out.
When you think you know it all, its time to quit. Knowledge should be gained on every trip.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:25 pm

Sounds like everyone is going through the "DOG DAYS OF SUMMER" ..Like skeeter said those bass are in the weeds and they are buried in them .. this the time of a year were good Jig fishing can produce nice bass ... large plastic worms carolina rigg or texes rigs works as well .. you will not get alot of bites but when you do , it gonna be a good one .. my advise is not to give up and keep covering water at a slow place ...POST SPAWN BASSIN IS TUFF ...BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant