Fly Fishing Spokane Area?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Jay K
Warrant Officer

Fly Fishing Spokane Area?

Post by Jay K » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:26 am

I'm new to fly fishing and was hoping to try some small stream/river wading/shore fly-fishing, but it appears to be quite a chore to find fish-able waters near Spokane. Are there any waters close by which, thus far, do not require the extra endorsement (as I'm not even certain I'll like fly-fishing) and you can fish from shore or wading? My understanding from reading various posts seems like most areas along the Spokane or Little Spokane are private property and you are also not allowed to wade. You're only allowed to float. Latah (Hangman) creek appears to be a dumping group, sigh...

I'm actually very interested in just trying small stream fishing in areas I can hike to - would Idaho be my best bet? Canada? I know that's no longer the Spokane area.

I guess I'll visit the local fly shops - Swedes comes to mind (is that the one on Maple? Ash?).

Appreciate any advice you can give me. I also checked out SpokaneFlyFishers club online. Like I mentioned, I'm a beginner and not even certain I'll like it, but just looking for rivers/creeks to try it out.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Fly Fishing Spokane Area?

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 pm

Swede's is the shop on Ash. I'm sure he can help you out. There are two clubs in Spokane and Swede's can point you in that direction too. I don't wade much anymore but if I did I'd be heading for the St. Joe or the North Fork of the Coeur d' Alene River. There is also Rocky Ford Creek about 10 miles or so north of Moses Lake. Rocky Ford is a no wading fishery, but the fish are huge and you can see them. Site fishing can be very exciting.
Good luck, and give Swede's a try.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Stop by the Silver Bow Fly Shop also. They have a great Gear Swap coming up and a guy can get a good deal on equipment and materials. Great shop.

http://www.silverbowflyshop.com/

Jay K
Warrant Officer

Post by Jay K » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info, fellas. I'm actually not looking for larger fish; I want to do some C&R fishing on smaller trout in small hike-able/wade-able streams. In truth, I'm looking to try my hand at tenkara fishing - Japanese reel-less fly fishing which is more amenable to <14" fish. I'd just like to enjoy some nice scenery, a quiet "mountain" stream and catch a few trout.

I'll take a look at Swede's and Silver Bow (I've seen them both driving past) - thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”