Fishing school's

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Iamfishing
Petty Officer

Fishing school's

Post by Iamfishing » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 pm

hey,i was wondering if there are any school's in the sate of washington that teach fishing.fly fishing how to fish plastic baits what colors work for diff season's ECT. cause i would love to learn some new thing's as well as methods. i have been fishing for about 11 year's now.all i know is a little fly fishing bobber fishing with live bait,bottom fishing with live bait,spinners the basics.any help on this would be much appreciated thank you

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Fishing school's

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 pm

None that I've heard of to be sure. I THINK I've heard of some college that has some sort of classes, but that might be my imagination.

One way to learn is watch all the fishing programs on tv, buy VCR tapes, CD, DVD things and watch them time and time again, that is a great thing to do during the winter. Then go out and give it a try come spring. And buy fishing books to read up on different species of fish.

Go to as many fishing clinics as you can.

Hire a guide and tell them what you want to learn.

The BEST way is to go fishing with a few people and have them show you how to do each method and they can watch and give pointers at any given time of the day, or at any given time of the retrieve.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Big D

Post by Big D » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 pm

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:13 pm

And join a club that fishes the specie of fish you want to learn about.
Tom.

Interests: living

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:10 pm

It is sad to say but back in the day...I had a class in fishing at Meeker Jr. High taught by Mr. Tipton. Yes, it was in a public school. He was the PE instructor. Our field trip was fishing on the Carbon from around the school I think to the mouth. I remember by the mouth there were woods with lots of washers and dryers.

Paying a guide for personal time or finding a mentor will probably be the only way now days.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 am

Peninsula Outfitters on the Kitsap Peninsula have classes that will teach you exactly what you want to learn. And very knowledgeable guys that would be happy to mentor an up in coming fly fisherman.

Peninsula Outfitters

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 pm

For fly fishing, I know that some fly fishing stores have classes. Avid Angler over in Kenmore is one of them. That'll be my route when I decide I'm not spending enough $ on spinning gear. :cheers:

Livin4Fishin
Petty Officer

Post by Livin4Fishin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm

Might be a drive to come over from lakewood but I second what fishinlife said. I have taken a distance casting class out of peninsula outfitters and it was extremely helpfull. Search around for a local fly shop or bait and tackle shop. Also look to see the special seminars that are held at your closest outdoor outfitter (outdoor emporium, cabelas, wholesale sports, etc..) On the 24th at 9:00 a.m. there will be a finesse fishing seminar at wholesale sports in silverdale. I believe it lasts an hour. I plan on trying to make it down there.
Have a son and you'll have a fishin partner for life.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:26 am

If you wanna fish with me I'll teach you the art of being a cracker.I can teach you all the dont do things with fishing.I am proficient at being skunked.Fish with me for a week then go out and do the opposite of what I teach and then you will catch.Hehehe.Good luck.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.