The Yo-Yo Technique

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Drewp
Commander

The Yo-Yo Technique

Post by Drewp » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm

We do it every time we go out bass fishing and target the shallows, docks, or cover. You make cast that looks like it's going to be perfect, but in fact it's an inch too long and now your lure is hanging over a branch, dock, etc. However, it's not snagged, and if you pull in on your line, the lure dangles in a precarious, yet seemingly irresistable position. You can actully bring the lure in and out of the water by pulling the line in and out, treating the lure almost like a yo-yo going up and down in the water. If I were a bass, I know I wouldn't be able to resist this awesome technique, but I have yet to catch a fish when this happens. Has this ever happened to you? Have you caught anything when this happens? How big? Just curious if one of these days my yo-yo presistence will pay off, or if I'm wasting my time and the yo-yo is in fact, a no-no.

:bounce: :cheers: :bounce:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

tnj8222
Admiral

RE:The Yo-Yo Technique

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:50 pm

nice in so glad you brought this up.

i used to live in wingate north carolina. thats actually where i learned to bass fish anyways my uncle and i were fishing at my familys 40 acre pond. we new every inch of structure and every small piece of cover that was there. we were fishing our favorite big fish summer spot. my uncle was playing with a rebel grasshopper. i was using a 7 inch purple power worm texas rigged. ok it was mid summer about 2 in the afternoon and so you know that equals almost 100 degree weather and 100% humidity in NC. my uncle cast towards a huge laydown in about 15 feet of water anyways his line lands on a twig and his lure is dangling about 3 inches from the water. so he drops it down a few times just playing around yeah you would think only a soft plastic would get bit in this weather but no kidding biggest bass i have ever seen to this day which was about 10 pounds. hit it like a ton of bricks. i was really suprised he landed it. he actually gave me that lure when he moved back here from NC i still have it but would never use it just because of the memorys, beside rebel grasshoppers suck lol.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:29 am

The YO YO technique you are referring to is great. Keep doing it. I remember like it was yesterday catching a 3+ lb bass from a lake I'll remember later using a Berkley slug-o lure. I was in my float tube, which made it more memorable. Lake WHITMAN, thats it. Anyway, used that technique and the fish nailed it :cheers:
aka Powerworm

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:00 am

Its such a strange coincidence I saw this thread this morning/evening... while out on Pine Lake earlier I ended up doing this for the heck of it after a bad flip under some trees and ended up landing a sunfish. Now only if it had been that lunker I've seen but haven't yet caught.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:48 am

I have been doing this for a long time now , and yes its a very effective presention .. i wouldnt go as far as calling it a technic unless an angler is repeatedly hanging there plastics over branchs on purpose ...it's really just something that happens by mistake allowing anglers to turn a negative into a postive .. BBD:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Bigbass Dez wrote: .. i wouldnt go as far as calling it a technic
Yeah, I think you're taking me a bit too literally pal. I just labeled it the "Yo-Yo" for the purpose of this thread and a little fun dude.:geek:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."