beautiful 28 inch steelhead (hatchery)

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
trout assault sean
Petty Officer

beautiful 28 inch steelhead (hatchery)

Post by trout assault sean » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 am

:brilsmurf :brilsmurf my uncles buddy caught a beautiful 28 inch steelhead right next to my house (i live on the edge of canyon creek 5 miles up the mtn loop highway out of granite falls ) he was only fishin for 15 minutes with a sandshrimp and corky set up. i am so jealous. now i gotta catch me one. one question, how long should i leave my line out when drift fishing?
drift fishing is new to me, i was thinking about fly fishing for steelhead. what color yarn fly should i use? i have neon green, neon orange, neon pink, and a couple of others.
SENIOR THIS YEAR AT GRANITE FALLS HIGH SCHOOL
Almost have my drivers lisence.
I would rather be fishin' than sittin' in school wishin i was fishin'.
<')}}}}><

ckim85
Commander

RE:beautiful 28 inch steelhead (hatchery)

Post by ckim85 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 pm

yarn for fly fishing? Will you be using some heavy sinktip to get the yarn down?

I've been tieing up big marabou's and egg sucking leach looking flies, moderately weighed with about 6ft of heavy T-14 sinktip. Depending on water, cast out, i usually make one initial big mend, and let the fly swing, wait for the hang, strip in and repeat. Important to keep the fly on its broadside during the swing.

If the water is low and clear, you can get by with bright neon colored flies, small profile...if waters running a bit high and cloudy, go with a big dark profile, like dark purple, black, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chum77
Petty Officer

RE:beautiful 28 inch steelhead (hatchery)

Post by chum77 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:10 am

If your gonna try some fly fishing and its a small creek i would try nymphing its some what easy to learn and the bead head nymphs are small and natural looking and you wont spook the steelhead with a clump of clumsy yarn. Nymphing is not true fly fishing but it is very effective and i like to use it in small creeks to mid sized creeks my self, just google search nymphing and tons of info will pop up on it, its basicly bobber fishing with a fly. good luck buddy.

Fish On :Chum77