My time has come!!!!

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sellis_414
Commander

My time has come!!!!

Post by sellis_414 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I have a huge desire to start fly fishing. Any recommendations on a rod and reel?
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:My time has come!!!!

Post by Amx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:11 pm

You're too far away as I have 2 or 3 rods for sale. Trout weights, but I forget just what they are.
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:39 pm

5-6 WT I would say. You should be able to find a reasonable started rod/reel combo for under $100. I'd start out in that price so you can see if it's truly for you. Your reel holds the line you cast, of which I'd go with one spool with floating line and one with intermediate sinking line. So, you need a reel and a spare spool, one for each line. and backing for each spool. There's a lot involved here - a visit to a sporting goods store that has anglers behind the counter is recommended!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 pm

I would go to a fly shop in particular before a general sporting goods store. check out http://centralflyfishing.com/ They are in Wenatchee as you are.
While I don't know this store personally... the people behind the counter will actually know fly fishing. Not to mention they have casting classes, fly presentation, etc. Fly fishing is a lot of fun, but it is pretty hard to just buy the stuff and teach yourself. Don't get discouraged on casting, it takes practice, and there are different types of casts to throw. It's not all just whipping back and forth.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Funny thing... That fly fishing shop is only a couple blocks down the road from my house and I never knew it existed. I'll look into it and again I appreciate the info!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Geoffrey Ring
Petty Officer

Post by Geoffrey Ring » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:57 am

Glad to hear you're interested in picking up the sport, but I believe that shop is closed now... At least, there was a fly shop there for quite a while that shut down last fall or spring (I forget). Maybe this is a new one, though? [-o<
If not, then the closest fly shop is in Ephrata, called Desert Fly Angler. >/
http://stores.homestead.com/DesertFlyAn ... eFront.bok

Good luck!

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”