Deception Pass State Park

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jsmith78
Petty Officer

Deception Pass State Park

Post by jsmith78 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Going camping at Deception Pass State Park next weekend July 10 - 13. What kind of fish can one target saltwater fishing from the bank? Is it still to early yet to try for salmon from the bank? Has anybody had any luck with throwing out a crab ring at all there? I am gonna fish the lake there also, was just wondering whats in the salt, possibly give that a try also.

Easy Limits
Lieutenant

RE:Deception Pass State Park

Post by Easy Limits » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Try chucking a #3 pink Buzz Bomb from shore, out going tide only.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:38 pm

I don't believe that Area 8-1 is open for anything when your going up. I'd stick with the fresh and enjoy the beach. I hope it will stay nice for ya. Take pics and give us a report when you get back.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:05 am

its tough to catch anything saltwater their because u=its too shallow but I've heard people get surf perch off of the beach. as for the lake the trout fishing can be very good but the water is going to be way too warm so your best bet will be fishing at sunrise and sunset or during the night. it would also be worth trying for bass around logs/weeds. toss a worm and a bobber out their.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:33 pm

IF IT IS OPEN FOR SALTWATER FISHING . TOSS SOME 5-6" WHITE CURLYTAIL GRUBS ON A 1 OZ OR LARGER JIG DURING TIDE CHANGE FROM THE BEACH NEAR THE BRIDGE. CAST AS FAR OUT AS YOU CAN AND JIG THE BOTTOM. I'VE CAUGHT MANY NICE CABAZON'S AND LINGCOD FROM THAT BEACH. CRANBERRY WILL GET YOU SOME TROUT. I'VE ALWAYS CAUGHT SOME USING "PANTHER MARTIN SPINNERS" BE SURE TO HAVE A SUPPLY OF THE JIGS AS THEY CAN HANG UP/ 15-20LB LINE. HAVE HAD SOME BIG LINGS BREAK OFF ON THE 20LB.

jsmith78
Petty Officer

Post by jsmith78 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Not going to Deception Pass this weekend after all. Some additional family members wanted to go camping also and no other sites left. Still would like to go up there and camp sometime. When is a good time to salmon fish from shore at Deception Pass State Park?

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:56 pm

big fish lite line wrote:its tough to catch anything saltwater their because u=its too shallow but I've heard people get surf perch off of the beach. as for the lake the trout fishing can be very good but the water is going to be way too warm so your best bet will be fishing at sunrise and sunset or during the night. it would also be worth trying for bass around logs/weeds. toss a worm and a bobber out their.
Great place for frogs....I catch them with a fairly stiff 9 ft rod and flies...fun at night with a flashlite in the lily pads...great eating... fry after dipping in eggwash and seasoned flour.....use butter about 1/4" deep in cast iron pan... OH BOY!!!

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:14 pm

go during late august or September and target the humpies that will be running through their thick.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Lots of humpsters will be moving through the pass in August & early September. On a flood tide the fish are often out of casting range but on the ebb they are tight to the beach trying to stay out of the heavy current. Use a 2 or a 3L as the bigger heavier buzz bombs hang up on bottom and the kelp.
Life's short - fish hard!