Sturgeon Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bpete
Angler

Sturgeon Fishing

Post by Bpete » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Looking at heading down to Illwaco to do some sturgeon fishing with my dad before I deploy overseas again, will probably put in at Chinook anyboby have any advice for me on where when and what to use? probably my last fishing trip for over a year so trying to make good. Thanks.

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Sturgeon Fishing

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:07 pm

Check out the following thread. http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... aspx#79970. If you beg nicely they may even give you a few GPS positions.

Maury
Petty Officer

Post by Maury » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Save some time and your kidneys, buy your fresh 'chovies in Chinook and then drive over the bridge to Astoria and follow the guides to the hot areas. saves you about 10 water miles each way.
You will see plenty of Charter boats and Guides along with the private boats. Just take your pick as to where to drop your anchor and have at it.
Maury

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:07 am

I just got back from there after a week of fishing (Astoria). If you launch out of the john day boat launch, go about a 1/4 mile off of tongue point using anchovies and a number 5 or 6 barbless hook. The am fishing was awesome up until around 11am or so. Everyday we were out there, we landed our fist fish between 8:15 and 8:45am. You gotta get out early Fri-Sun and don't park the trailer in the street. State patrol was issuing tickets left and right. They were also on the docks checking fishing licenses and making sure that it was filled out when you got back to the dock if you had a keeper. When we left on Sun, I heard from folks that Illwaco was super hot for fishin as well. Charters that left at 6am were back on the dock by 9am because they had limited out. Let me know if you need more info and good luck!!

Pradeep.

daniesea
Petty Officer

Post by daniesea » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Sounds like alot of fun! Great information guys!

Danie