Bass Scale Error

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spokanebassman
Petty Officer

Bass Scale Error

Post by spokanebassman » Mon May 25, 2009 3:42 pm

So I posted my fishing trip from Saturday and the two huge fish we caught were weighed on my digital rapala scale at 5lbs 8ozs and 4lbs 14ozs. While I was weightlifting today I decided to test the scale because I thought the fish looked larger. I took a 2.5lb weight and a 5lb weight and a 10lb weight. the 2.5 weighed 1lb 8oz, the 5 weighed 3lbs 12ozs and the 10 weighed 8lbs 4ozs. Could anyone give me an idea as to what the true weight of our two fish were? Doing some math I was thinking the 4lb 14ozs would be close to 6lbs and the 5-8oz about 6lb 12oz? I know now it was low on battery power as I put a brand new one in and it weighed all 3 weights within 2 oz. PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS THESE WERE BOTH PERSONAL BESTS!!

EB

SPARKY101
Captain

RE:Bass Scale Error

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:20 pm

If you measured the girth and length you could get a appr.estimate..other than that lesson learned on keeping your tackle and terminal gear and scales all up to par..user error sux but it happens..carry spares..as for your camera also..full charge on cell phone..tight lines oh check ur line also list can go on and on..
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

TravisRush
Commander

Post by TravisRush » Mon May 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Weight plates are almost never what they claim to weigh either

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Mon May 25, 2009 4:36 pm

I agree with Travis, I wouldn't put much stock in the accuracy of your weight plates.

The next time you go the grocery store, pick up a few items and weigh them in the produce section so that you have more accurate test samples when you get home. For example, one gallon of water weighs ~8-1/3 lbs. Grab a one gallon jug of water and a few different size Gatorade bottles and head over to the nearest scale. You may want to check the produce scale by weighing a couple of the items multiple times to check the repeatability of the scale. You may also want to take a marker to identify the different bottles with a number if they weigh differently. Just remember you can select any variety of bottle/canned items to allow you test the complete range of your fishing scale.

When you get home, break out you "test samples" and weigh them on your fishing scale. I recommend weighing each item or combination of items at least 3 times to verify that your scale accurately repeats the measurement.

Let us know what you find out when you test your scale again.

Tim

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon May 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Or just have it sent in and get it certified..i think Chris B,and Tag W have had theres done and many more im sure.
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

flippinfool
Commander

Post by flippinfool » Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm

ICSpots wrote:I agree with Travis, I wouldn't put much stock in the accuracy of your weight plates.

The next time you go the grocery store, pick up a few items and weigh them in the produce section so that you have more accurate test samples when you get home. For example, one gallon of water weighs ~8-1/3 lbs. Grab a one gallon jug of water and a few different size Gatorade bottles and head over to the nearest scale. You may want to check the produce scale by weighing a couple of the items multiple times to check the repeatability of the scale. You may also want to take a marker to identify the different bottles with a number if they weigh differently. Just remember you can select any variety of bottle/canned items to allow you test the complete range of your fishing scale.

When you get home, break out you "test samples" and weigh them on your fishing scale. I recommend weighing each item or combination of items at least 3 times to verify that your scale accurately repeats the measurement.

Let us know what you find out when you test your scale again.

Tim
iam puttin mine to the test good idea icspots:compress:
LIVE LIFE DONT LET LIFE LIVE YOU GO FISHIN!!!!!!!!