Powerbait reeks! Even in a zip lock bag

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
triehl27
Petty Officer

Powerbait reeks! Even in a zip lock bag

Post by triehl27 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am

Well as I was getting my gear organized, I opened one box to a smell of powerbait. After opening a bait bottle I usually zip lock it also to prevent the smell issue. It isn't that the bait has gone bad it is just that the bait smell is leaking out of the open jars. I guess my only solution now is to just keep them seperate in their own box. When you have a 12 or so it can get to be a REAL big smell.

The opened Jars lids are on tight

The Jars are zip locked in a bag,

And yet the smell still permeates the box.

It isn't rancid or anything, it is just a STRONG BIG powerbait smell.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malottguy
Petty Officer

RE:Powerbait reeks! Even in a zip lock bag

Post by Malottguy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:41 am

A tip for you. When you open a new jar do not peel off the seal all the way also when taking seal off do it slow so it doesnt tear or if it tears do it does little. Leave it attached to part of the rim. When you put the lid back on make sure seal goes back down around the rim like when it was sealed and tighten a good hand tight. It will not get rid of all the smell but will cut down quite a bit. At least it has for me. It also keeps it fresh longer. The lids foam doesnt seal well at all but the seal helps it some.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:20 pm

I agree with not taking the seal off and another thing is to switch to the power eggs they are much cleaner/easier to deal with.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I've always thought the stink of powerbait was minimal compared to just about all other "baits."

Sandshrimp, krill-grease, and most of the liquid and paste scents are MUCH stronger and impossible to dampen than powerbait.

I'm with malottguy, though...don't rip the seat off. I only open it about half way (and don't tear than half off). Not only will it help cut the smell, but it'll keep the nuggets moist and easier to work with...just in case you have to keep an open jar for a few months.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Throw a piece of saran wrap on the top of the bottle and screw the lid down over that. Might keep the lids from leaking.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Another thing with power eggs is you can put 10 or so of your fav. colors together and only keep 1 jar in your tackle box and keep the other jars in a safe location:-"
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket