outrigger for canoe

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
reigndawgs
Commander

outrigger for canoe

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:48 pm

I am building an outrigger for my 14 foot pirogue after seeing the cheapest one for sale listed at almost 200 bucks. I am planning on using large PVC pipes capped off for the floats, but was wondering if anyone had any advise on to attach them to the boat to ensure they are at the right level and ride well.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gisteppo
Commodore

RE:outrigger for canoe

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Ever thought to build the outrigger (ama) in the same shape as your pirogue? You can make a prettier, lighter weight, more hydrodynamically efficient ama with a little plywood and fiberglass (or furring strips for non-fiberglass types).

The connection to the boat (aka) can be a simple clamp on piece, such as some doug fir or clear pine with varnish clamped to the gunnels.

E

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Ever thought to build the outrigger (ama) in the same shape as your pirogue? You can make a prettier, lighter weight, more hydrodynamically efficient ama with a little plywood and fiberglass (or furring strips for non-fiberglass types).

The connection to the boat (aka) can be a simple clamp on piece, such as some doug fir or clear pine with varnish clamped to the gunnels.

E
I am not sure exactly what you mean, but I like the sound of prettier and lighter.:colors:

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm

All you need is two sheets of plywood from the lumber store (preferably something imported, as fir plywood checks really badly) and either some 1x2's or some fiberglass tape and a gallon or so of epoxy.

Here is a complete set of plans for a 14' pirogue;

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

All you need to do is modify the dimensions such that your amas are something like 3.5' long. Just multiply all dimensions by 1/4 or .25, and you will end up with your amas being a quarter the size of your main hull, which would make it a great flyfishing platform to say the least.

What makes you want to turn her into an outrigger?

E

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am

My brother did what you are tring to do with his two years ago and is real happy with his result. I'm not sure of the details but I can get them from him he uses his all the time and his cost was low from what I remember.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 pm

[quote="Gisteppo"]All you need is two sheets of plywood from the lumber store (preferably something imported, as fir plywood checks really badly) and either some 1x2's or some fiberglass tape and a gallon or so of epoxy.

Here is a complete set of plans for a 14' pirogue]

I would like more stability as my kids are getting bigger and I also now have a 75 pound dog I would like to take out with me sometimes.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:07 am

[-o< I think I really need a way to mount them to the pirogue (canoe) so that they are adjustable in height. If others have experience with the nature of outriggers, please advise. It is the connections I need advice on, not the floats.[-o<

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Shoot a photo of the boat, especially the gunnel area. This will make things much more simple to describe.

Also take a look at clamp-on sailing rigs and clamp-on rowing rigs for canoes, as they are doing essentially the same thing (high strength connections to the boat) for a slightly different purpose.

E

Midnightson
Angler

Post by Midnightson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Good afternoon.
I'm the brother papamike was talking about.
I built outriggers using 4" gray PVC capped, they are held to the boat with a pair of snow skis I bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks.
if you are interested, send me an email vern.midnightson@gmail.com and I will send you some pics of my rig.
They work very well.
I have a wife who can't sit still and an 8 year old who can.

Carl762
Petty Officer

Post by Carl762 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm very interested in seeing a pic of your boat, midnightson.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Midnightson wrote:Good afternoon.
I'm the brother papamike was talking about.
I built outriggers using 4" gray PVC capped, they are held to the boat with a pair of snow skis I bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks.
if you are interested, send me an email vern.midnightson@gmail.com and I will send you some pics of my rig.
They work very well.
I have a wife who can't sit still and an 8 year old who can.
I sent you an email, thanks for the help.