Where was I on the Stilly?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Where was I on the Stilly?

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 pm

I was out with a friend today and did a little unsucessful (sp?) fly fishing on the Stilly. We were near Oso. But what I wanted to ask was does anybody know what the area is called where you turn N. off of Hwy. 530 and it goes in past a farm/dairy business etc. goes out to a place on the river where it is just a huge wide open space? Very beautiful exposed fishing area.
The best way I can describe it is that the turn off from Hwy 530 was at a place called maybe, " The Stilliquamish Fireworks :bom: store?"
Sorry that this sounds so random, but I just want to know what the actual name of the access point was.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Smalma
Warrant Officer

RE:Where was I on the Stilly?

Post by Smalma » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:24 am

QF -
Are you talking about the area just east of I-5?

If so that access is variously called "Big Rock" or "Blue Stilli" or at times "Stratz's" (spelling?)

Tight lines
Curt

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:02 am

If its right off I-5 ?Is it where you make a left at the firestation?If so thats a county park.With a baseball diamond there.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:10 am

Smalma wrote:QF -
Are you talking about the area just east of I-5?

If so that access is variously called "Big Rock" or "Blue Stilli" or at times "Stratz's" (spelling?)

Tight lines
Curt

Yes, that is the area.... ( there is a huge rock out in the river with some graffiti on it)
the park that racfish mentioned is a little farther East on 530.
Thanks Curt... it is a beautiful stretch of river.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:48 pm

I've heard that there are lots of tweakers in that area. So be careful.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:I've heard that there are lots of tweakers in that area. So be careful.
I am always very leary in those sort of places where it is obvious that you have left your vehicle and will be away from it for awhile. I will say that I was completly shocked at how clean the whole area was. That was nice to see for a change.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 am

Early in my career I used to handle a fair amount of disturbances and parties there in the middle of the night. I have arrested some serious idiots from that nice stretch of river. We referred to it as Big Rock and Blue Stilli Park as well. I have never fished it and I think you would likely be fine there during the day. Just have a look around before you leave your vehicle and head for the river.

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 am

Sounds like you were fishing the Blue Stilly Park area at Island Crossing. Good luck down there. When the Humpies are in the area is very popular.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 am

Do not leave a nice truck out unless its in plain sight of the highway = METHHEADS gone bad when you come back from fishing it will be lets say altured I guided and pounded these areas for 35 years in most the Stilly once great now filled in and tons of silt and out much of the winter the upper N. Fork still has a few great seams but the numbers are lean,
The Clay banks still a nice slot as well and right of the highway heading for Darrington some very good water and last year we took one hog out of that area but my buds Tundra was a mess when we got back:colors:
They love smaller corkies watermelon and candycane in colors and yarn a twist of pink and chartruse together= tip with ghost shrimp meat but watch your regs and dates many areas fly only depending on the month on the N.Fork.

Some early coho and chums/dogs in the lower as well water color can be a issue the other pack the heater:cheers:
Attachments
THE_BASIC_FISHING_KIT!-43.jpg
THE_BASIC_FISHING_KIT!-43.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
Its_game_time_and_we_played_ball!-111.jpg
Its_game_time_and_we_played_ball!-111.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 1805 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:41 pm

One of the Best seams on the Stilly the (Clay banks):bounce: if the river is in .
Had many 4-5 fish days in the same hole, seam and tailout on her/ its a Hiker but well worth the Squirt!:cheers: Last picture and hole right off the main highway heading for Darrington and parking/ Cross the river downstream where it is lean be careful and fish the deeper pockets against the big Rocks the county brought in to shore up the road.
We made the school Calendar and that pool and tail out has blessed me over 50 metalheads but you must fish the other side of the river you park at to get the correct drift and fish:bounce:
Attachments
scan0081.jpg
scan0081.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Wallace_killer1.jpg
Wallace_killer1.jpg (142.65 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
stilly_fish_on.jpg
stilly_fish_on.jpg (84.01 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MegaSwedeHunter
Angler

Post by MegaSwedeHunter » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Dude, you have the Stilly dialed in. Do you guide? If so can I book a trip this winter?