Slab Crappie

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Lip Rippa
Petty Officer

Slab Crappie

Post by Lip Rippa » Wed May 16, 2007 11:33 am

Does anyone know where I can catch some crappie in Whatcom/Skagit Co.? I have never fished for crappie and I want to catch some. I am also looking for someone who is willing to show me the basics of crappie fishing.

gpc
Admiral

RE:Slab Crappie

Post by gpc » Wed May 16, 2007 12:11 pm

Im not too familiar with that part of the state but I can give you some basic tips. I use an ultra light rod and 4lb tset. I dont use any leader I just tie the jig right to the main line. The jig that I most often use is a 1/64 oz pearl white mini micro jig. 1/32 oz might be more practicle for casting and for beginers. You can still cast the 1/64 oz but ist a lot harder. On the end of the jig I tip it with a maggot, these can be purchased a JOES, I cant even come close to a maggot unless I pay for it, dont know why but thats how it works LOL. Alot of people are intimidated by 4 lb test but its worth it you get a lot more hook ups and practice makes perfect at first your going to find yourself HATING 4lb test but youll come around. Last year I tried 2lb test a little much for me. I only used it 4 days on the water and I manged 2 2lb trout and a 2lb walleye so its possible to land bigger fish on small test. Also to hook up with a 4lb crappie would be great but not common. Not saying that a 1lb crappie cant break 4lb test because they can and its happened to me. Remember to set your drag pretty loose. Make sure to check the regs it says there is no size/daily limit for crappie but on most of the good crappie lakes there is a size and daily limit on crappie and it will say that in the reg book under the lake name. Also you can use a worm instead of a maggot, but Iv found you catch more perch and bluegill. Other great colors for jigs are yellow/white, nite brite, black/green, red/white