OK fly guys

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
David Z.
Petty Officer

OK fly guys

Post by David Z. » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:26 pm

I went to a garage sale down the street today and picked up a fly rod and reel. On the rod it says Ted Williams tournament model Mod. 335.30472 - 8"-6" 7-8 wt. Sears Roebuck Company rod is fiberglass white with brown and orange wrapping rod is a reel whip. The reel is stamped Ted Williams 135 Mod. 324.31562 with big made in USA. Reel has adjustable drag and you can turn the clicker on and off.

Also got a Pflueger Medalist on it No. 1494 Diamolite Line Guard which is a chrome loop that the line runs through. Looks to be about 4 wt. size.

All are well used but in good shape. Would I love to catch a steelhead on this rod. Oh ya got all for 5 bucks.

No pics I have no camera sorry.

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:OK fly guys

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:26 pm

For a reel you need one with a larger arbor and a good drag. The drag is essential as a steelhead will have no problem taking you well into your backing.
Large arbor is important because you might need to reel in those 100 ft of line if the fish runs towards you. Does the rod have a butt or small section of handle bellow the reel seat?

David Z.
Petty Officer

Post by David Z. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:30 pm

No the rod I got is a single hand rod. I know what you need for a good steelhead rig I have a 4wt. and a 6wt. set up that I fish now. I just thought that the rod and reel bought at the garage sale were cool because they are old and because Sears no longer makes or sells fishing gear anymore and has not for a long time. You might be to young to remember when Sears and JC Penney and other stores around here had there own line of fishing tackle.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:55 am

David Z. wrote:No the rod I got is a single hand rod. I know what you need for a good steelhead rig I have a 4wt. and a 6wt. set up that I fish now. I just thought that the rod and reel bought at the garage sale were cool because they are old and because Sears no longer makes or sells fishing gear anymore and has not for a long time. You might be to young to remember when Sears and JC Penney and other stores around here had there own line of fishing tackle.
I'll be 29 soon and I'm to young to remember that.But anyways awesome find and buy.I would of jumped on it myself.:cheers:
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 am

David Z. wrote:No the rod I got is a single hand rod. I know what you need for a good steelhead rig I have a 4wt. and a 6wt. set up that I fish now. I just thought that the rod and reel bought at the garage sale were cool because they are old and because Sears no longer makes or sells fishing gear anymore and has not for a long time. You might be to young to remember when Sears and JC Penney and other stores around here had there own line of fishing tackle.
So, considering that I remember when Sears and JC Penny did have their own line of fishing gear, does that make me ancient?
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

David Z.
Petty Officer

Post by David Z. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:09 pm

No it makes you about as old as me.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:09 am

David Z. wrote:No it makes you about as old as me.
Isnt that the same thing ;) hehe
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”