River Rockers are for suckers!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
G-Man
Admiral

River Rockers are for suckers!

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I'm sure if you've river fished long enough, you will have encountered the native large scale sucker. Typically you'll hook up with them while drifting bait through the tail end of a hole. In many instances, they give you a jolt of adrenaline as they go tearing off into the main current while foul hooked, giving the initial impression you have laid into a good fish. Today, however, was a first for me. After anchoring above a confluence, I dropped a River Rocker into the seam and sat down to have some lunch. One bite of my sandwich and my rod is doing the dance, right on! I even get a tease of surface action but I can't make much out, other than the fish is dark, as the water is pretty stained. Finally I get the fish next to the boat and to my surprise, it turns out to be one big and fat large scale sucker. What made this unusual and a first for me, is it was a clean hookup inside the mouth with a plug. Anyone else ever hookup with a sucker while running a plug?
Big Sucker.jpg

AJFishdude
Warrant Officer

Re: River Rockers are for suckers!

Post by AJFishdude » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:51 am

Lol, no. I totally nailed a nice one the other day dogging eggs though. Thought I had steel #2 on for a second...

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:20 am

Rapalas, Mepps, Big Digs, Plastic worms, and once, a popper! Probably my greatest "Sucker!" surprise was reeling in a sturgeon rig with a big chunk of Lamprey on a 12/0 hook with a sucker on the point, perfectly hooked! Caught a whitefish like that once too. Have no idea how that thing got the tip of the hook in its mouth! It came in backwards because it couldn't get past the barb!

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:21 am

If it's near the spawn, the suckers seem to live up to their name...

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Saw a sucker hooked on a flatfish back in my boy scout days.

gpacho
Angler

Post by gpacho » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Hook one in the mouth jiggin for pinks this year. Saw him come up and grab too!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:40 pm

It's a shame they have such small mouths. I think it affects their ability to put up a sustained fight. They can be fun on light tackle, but after the first or second run, they are usually just dead weight.