Honda BF45 Information?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
aceshi21
Petty Officer

Honda BF45 Information?

Post by aceshi21 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:57 pm

I am looking at a boat that has a Honda bf45, and have had a terribly difficult time finding any useful information on the motors along with reviews, history, etc.

Has anyone had any sort of experience with these engines?

The only thing I know about them from a weeks long attempt of googling is that they were produced only in 1996 and won an IMTEC award for that year.

I know Honda has a great reputation, however, since the outboard was only produced for 1 year, it raises a lot of questions and doubt in my mind. I am curious as to why it was discontinued, what potential problems they may have, what typically will be the Achilles heal of the mechanics, etc.

The boat is in outstanding shape and has been well taken care of. That makes me really want the boat, but the questions and seemingly unknowns at this time about the motor is what is holding me back at this time.

Please chime in with any and all information possible!

Thanks!!

gramps53
Angler

Re: Honda BF45 Information?

Post by gramps53 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Typically outboards are identical within a horsepower range. Example - 40hp, 45hp, 50hp are all the same engine with minor differences in carburation jetting to acheive different hp ratings. If the BF45 is a 3 cylinder carburated honda, then it is most likely the same as the BF50. I have a 1999 BF50 and they are bullet proof. My guess is that honda dropped the 45 due slow sales and the fact that most customers bought the 50. If you are concerned I would suggest that you have a marine mechanic look it over

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Honda BF45 Information?

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Id check with a couple of local Honda mechanics. Ask them if parts are still available or if they know of any common issues. We bought an old BF100 several years ago and had issues getting some parts but not others.