Dash point state park

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Dash point state park

Post by HULI_ISDA » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

Hi fella's, so we've been invited to camp at dash point state park. By the sound of it its around salt water. The question is what fish can be caught over there? And if there's some kind of dock/pier? I've heard pinks are showing up already, I wonder if pinks comes through close to shore in that area? We dont have a boat. Thank every one.

obryan214
Commander

Re: Dash point state park

Post by obryan214 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 am

dash point pier is where the crowds gather, its in town instead of the park. the pinks probably cruise within casting distance of the park shoreline too. caught cutthroat there before, gotta release them.

Duwamish Amish
Petty Officer

Post by Duwamish Amish » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:46 am

Aye, thou can catcheth them from the state parketh but thou may needeth to wade out.
Last edited by Duwamish Amish on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amen.

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 am

Thank you...

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Right down the road from the campground is dash point pier. The fish come in alot closer there.

First Time FisherMan
Angler

Post by First Time FisherMan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:54 am

Any recommendation on what type of Fish is available of the Pier at Dash Point. As a First Timer in fishing, was confused on what type of road to buy. I heard it needs to suit the Fish, hence the question.

Also any recommendation on what type of Fishing Road to buy with Bait

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:15 pm

First Time FisherMan wrote:Any recommendation on what type of Fish is available of the Pier at Dash Point. As a First Timer in fishing, was confused on what type of road to buy. I heard it needs to suit the Fish, hence the question.

Also any recommendation on what type of Fishing Road to buy with Bait
Washington State fishing is highly regulated. It would take way too much time for one of us to type out the regs for you.

I do NOT recommend you take someones word off the internet as to what you can and cant fish for or what is legal or not legal as far as times, gear, bait, hooks, etc etc.

Id suggest you go to the WDFW website and download the regulation book and look at it closely. The penalties are steep if you get caught doing it wrong - and they are out there looking to write tickets.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also - this is a very unusual year and catch rules have been changing literally EVERY DAY. You also must go to the on-line section for emergency rule changes.

That said - I will give you my 2 cents worth - but - no guarantees if the warden nails you for doing what I say :D

At the moment, there is NO salmon fishing of any kind allowed in that part of Puget Sound. Also, you may not fish for rock fish, cod, halibut, sharks and a bunch of others I cant remember. I think about the only legal thing will be flounder/sole or sculpins of various types or dog fish. I cant remember if crabbing is already closed or not.

There is a public/fishing pier at the park but expect it to be super crowded on weekends and especially on a holiday.

If you want to fish for flounder/sole I would recommend a 2oz - 4 oz weight (depending on the tide/current) followed by a salmon leader with a double hook setup and use herring for bait. Fish on the bottom.

Oh - be SURE to crush the hook barbs flat - its barbless hooks only in the sound.

If you go by Sportco or Sportsmans Warehouse in Fife or Tacoma, they will help you pick out gear and give you good advice (most of the time). They also have the best prices around on fishing gear.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Dash Point pier is not at the State Park. It is a little further down the shore towards the Puyallup River mouth. Crab is still open through Monday Sept. 5th. But it is a busy place so crabs might not be plentiful. Get a regulation book and it has a picture of where the dock is on page 118. The state park is where the right side of the 8 is. You can get crab, dogfish, flounder/sole, bullheads, and sometimes herring and squid. There isn't a bait shop there and not a lot of parking.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.