steelhead in forks wa?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
S10driver85
Angler

steelhead in forks wa?

Post by S10driver85 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:03 am

Me and my buddy are planning a steelhead trip to forks. It's my second time on the O.P. first trip we got skunked with a guided trip last march.
We are leaving the 27th of december through the 30th, any one who wants to meet up or exchange info pm me.
I'm looking to do walk in bank fishing. Any suggestions on places to go would be appreciated.
Thanks keep your lines tight and mended. ...

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: steelhead in forks wa?

Post by natetreat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:22 am

Not much of a secret, but head to the hatchery on the bogachiel. Follow the trail, can't miss it. Should be on fire.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:51 pm

I might head up there during that time, I'm not sure what days exactly since I forgot what days my dad has off, I think it's around the 23rd though. Like Nate said, there's a trail right there at the hatchery. There's a bend around the trail that's a good area to fish, then there's the confluence of the Calawah/Boggy where fish will hang. If you get a fish there though, it's a pain since it's pretty fast moving water. There's also a trail on the backside of the hatchery that leads to some water on the Calawah that's good for steelhead. Haven't been up there in years, but hopefully I'll be able to fish it in a couple weeks when I head back to my parents for the week.

S10driver85
Angler

Post by S10driver85 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks guys, now from what I hear leave my nightmare jigs at home and fish worms, sand shrimp, eggs, and yarn?
Who has the best bait in town?
Anything else I should know?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Nightmare jigs work fine there, as do the other standard colors of jigs. Personally I like Eggs and Corkie and Yarn the best though. It depends on where at the hatchery you are fishing though. The upper stretch of the hatchery drift is a little slower and deeper and is better float water, the further down you go the better it is for drift fishing. Also expect a pretty big crowd out there if you plan on fishing the hatchery. I suggest getting there rather early.

S10driver85
Angler

Post by S10driver85 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:07 am

ANY one know where a good plunking hole is?

fishindude
Warrant Officer

Post by fishindude » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:08 am

Last year when I fished in Forks it was an exploratory visit. I found a place to drive right up to and plunk on the Quill. look up Richwine gravel bar or Quillayute River county park. I'm sure there are more places that I didn't find but here was nice because it is a big long gravel bar that you can drive on right up to the water. I don't think I'd take a car down there though so hope you got a truck. It was NASTY windy/rainy the day I was there so we sat in the truck and watched our poles. Wasn't lucky enough to catch a fish but others I saw did catch. Look up and down the rivers on google maps. I don't think this place is any secret but I found it on accident looking at google maps. Also, invest some time into exploring and driving around when you get there. I did just as much looking/driving around as I did fishing last time I was there (my first time there) and now have a few places to go when I go back. When I do get a chance to go back, I will definitely be exploring more. Good luck!

S10driver85
Angler

Post by S10driver85 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 am

Hey thanks man, I think a.m. fishing and pm exploring is in my future.