Couple interesting developments that are relevant to us...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
machewbacca
Petty Officer

Couple interesting developments that are relevant to us...

Post by machewbacca » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Climate change, you're a thorn in my side...
http://www.king5.com/story/tech/science ... /14759893/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What the heck is up with this? Has this been discussed here?
http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2 ... /14713483/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

schu7498
Commander

Re: Couple interesting developments that are relevant to us.

Post by schu7498 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Hmmm that second story really is a big ol kick in the butt. Sheesh that sucks. Another win for the snaggers and illegal fishing. Thanks for sharing.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am

FYI - If you get caught over fishing the potential for anyone of the following still exists: monetary fine, loss of your fish, seizure of your fishing gear, impound and seizure of your fishing rig/boat. The potential problem I see is there may be no way to track repeat offenders, those are the folks from whom you really want to seize their gear/boat and/or jail. Impound a persons boat, trailer and tow vehicle and the fees alone to get it out of impound will be enough to make most think twice about doing it again.

skagit510
Lieutenant

Post by skagit510 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

There will be no difference. Wdfw is the most pansy impotent organization around. Enforcement is a joke. There is none. I think you must have to be a fearful neutered wimp to be an officer. They will go after the guy fishing legal and check his gear and license. Yet they will purposely avoid the hordes of snaggers and poachers for fear of conflict. I have zero respect for wdfw. They are actively working against the protection of any resource. Poaching has been legal for a long time. Jerry, you're right. We do need to police our own. Now cue the, "if you don't like snaggers don't go to the skok" bs. Oh and the, "just call it in, that will help". If you are not upset with the lack of enforcement, you are either a law breaker or not paying attention.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:29 pm

The cost of public sector pensions will drag down services. Pensions were over-promised during the Bush years and we will most likely see things get worse unless taxes go up.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Yup, need more taxes. Gotta get rid of critters like Boeing, Burger King, etc, so we can have more revenue... How's that work again?
Throwing more money at things doesn't work if there is no decent leadership.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Oh, just to be clear, I want those guys stopped as well!!!!

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:48 pm

Goldrigger1 wrote:The cost of public sector pensions will drag down services. Pensions were over-promised during the Bush years and we will most likely see things get worse unless taxes go up.

Blaming someone who hasn't been in office for 6 years and taking more of everybody's money will not solve anything. If they are not going to punish the criminals then nothing is going to work. If there is no consequences for their actions then they will keep it up. We need new leaders in Olympia and new agents in the field that will actually do their job.
Any time fishing is time well spent.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm

Well said, swb.

4steelhead
Warrant Officer

Post by 4steelhead » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 am

It seems that poachers are only worried about a WDFW officer showing up. We need the public to be the eyes and ears for law enforcement and call in violations. But we also need WDFW, WSP, and county Sherriff to respond when a tip is phoned in. Only then will snaggers think twice. Lets spend our money on officers giving large fines and not lawyers bogging down the system.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:33 am

skagit510 wrote:There will be no difference. Wdfw is the most pansy impotent organization around. Enforcement is a joke. There is none. I think you must have to be a fearful neutered wimp to be an officer. They will go after the guy fishing legal and check his gear and license. Yet they will purposely avoid the hordes of snaggers and poachers for fear of conflict. I have zero respect for wdfw. They are actively working against the protection of any resource. Poaching has been legal for a long time. Jerry, you're right. We do need to police our own. Now cue the, "if you don't like snaggers don't go to the skok" bs. Oh and the, "just call it in, that will help". If you are not upset with the lack of enforcement, you are either a law breaker or not paying attention.
Roger that, I have only seen two WDFW officers in the past two years and I fish a lot. One of them was obsessed with harassing me while fishing legally. the other one was doing their job accordingly but the lack of officers is amazing. I have seen countless snaggers the past few years and they are free to what they want. Now with something like this publicized it will only get worse. This could open another whole debate about laws that are already on the books but not enforced but some people think new laws are in order........ [flapper]

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:02 pm

I know WDFW employees look at this sight once in a while. Any want to weigh in? My experiences have been like Strider43's, mixed, but rare. I've seen and reported some violations, and the Sheriff and State Patrol responded more often. I realize there's more of them, but something is out of balance. I've seen lakes stripped of fish, and locals know where and how, but no one waiting for the crooks. Checking numbers of life jackets can be important, but I think catching criminals that poach is more so.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:20 pm

fishinChristian wrote:I know WDFW employees look at this sight once in a while. Any want to weigh in? My experiences have been like Strider43's, mixed, but rare. I've seen and reported some violations, and the Sheriff and State Patrol responded more often. I realize there's more of them, but something is out of balance. I've seen lakes stripped of fish, and locals know where and how, but no one waiting for the crooks. Checking numbers of life jackets can be important, but I think catching criminals that poach is more so.
I fish a lake in E WA that last year had WDFW come every day to check what was happening. This year there is no presence of WDFW and people are using gas motors and fishing with bait when both are restricted. Most of modern LE is revenue collecting, why do we see them hiding in the bushes waiting for someone going a little to fast rather than out patrolling to catch the truly reckless drivers? Revenue. If Sno Co cant prosecute because of lacking resources don't they know these issues could pay for themselves if the laws were enforced? What about all court cost being passed on to the violator?
I have tried to tell the certain ethnic group that is always snagging in my area (Sky/Wallace) that they cant do that. They act surprised and say thank you and keep on snagging. I saw them leave the Cracker bar last year with like 8 pinks each.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 am

Just talked to an acquaintance that I once reported a guy netting fish illegally with, and know he reported others. He said he got so fed up he was ready to join the law breakers. I attempted to dissuade, and I don't think he actually will, but I can sure see the frustration. Told him about this forum, that he wasn't alone, at least in being fed up. Myron Lake is fished every day by bait fishers, illegally, but little is done. I think they could fund their whole operation by emphasis on certain lakes and rivers, at least for a while.