Pierce county area clamming?

Our hardshelled friends found here.
aceshi21
Petty Officer

Pierce county area clamming?

Post by aceshi21 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:30 pm

The family and I wanted to go do some clamming this weekend and next, went to the wdfw site to find an open beach, only beaches we could really find to be open had little to no available info regarding clams or any type of other shellfish. Anyone know of a decent beach within an hour drive from the Tacoma/gig harbor area that is open this time of year with some decent production? Much appreciative of any help that can be provided and thanks!!

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Re: Pierce county area clamming?

Post by gonnahookit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:57 am

Only one I personally know if is out by Allyn, on 302. It is actually in a community called Victor, across the water from Allyn. I think it is North Cove Beach on the wdfw site. there is a wdfw access just north of the powerlines that cross the water there, and the best clamming was to the north of the access.

While people were digging for clams in the gravel, I was wading in a few inches water north of them, and picking them up off the surface.

Last time I went, last summer, I had my limit (and my son's) in 15 minutes, with no digging.

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:21 pm

thanks hook it!

is that the area otherwise known as northeast case inlet tidelands on bing maps?

copy and paste this into bing maps: near 3552 E WA-302, Belfair, WA 98528

I have been searching for open beaches this time of year, and found joemma beach sp, but no real information in regards to clam production. does anyone know anything about this beach as well in regards to clam populations?

thanks again!!

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes, thats it. Make sure you view the map on wdfw, property to the north gets private after a ways. Also check the link on wdfw to the dept. Of health safety page, it should take you to the page for that beach to tell you if it is safe for harvest. Green means go. :)

aceshi21
Petty Officer

Post by aceshi21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm

The beach is called North Bay on the wdfw site, and is closed as of July 31st #-o

oh well, was planning on giving purdy spit and joemma a good ole college try