Sockeye in the Columbia System?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
wlai
Petty Officer

Sockeye in the Columbia System?

Post by wlai » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 pm

Been hearing a lot about the bountiful Columbia Sockeye run this year. Where/When would be the best place and time to go try to fish for them?

I'm new to salmon fishing in general, excepts I've done pinks on odd years and took an informative class trip with Nate, so any hint would be appreciated!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Re: Sockeye in the Columbia System?

Post by kodacachers » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 am

As they say, the time is now! Place sounds like below Wananupum dam. They'll be moving upriver too. I'm not sure what's between Wananupum and Brewster. Note: I've never actually fished for them. Check out Kyle Jones's posts. Sounds like he may be the man if you are looking to learn from an expert.

Hepker
Petty Officer

Post by Hepker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 pm

anyone know of any bank fishing somewhere on the columbia within reasonable distance of I90?

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:27 am

I think people do well at the confluence of the Wenatchee. But ive never fished it so wouldnt know about techniques or anything.

Skaha
Petty Officer

Post by Skaha » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 am

--seems like a bunch coming... I'm sure there will be lot's making it across the border into Osoyoos lk with expected recreational opening August 1st.
--do any of you fish the USA side of Osoyoos? I'll be fishing Canadian side when it opens.
--usually use OKI flashers with boon hoochies but hey if you guys have some super secret gear or technique you want to share, I'm willing to learn.