Fenwick Eagle GT

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Chromer
Petty Officer

Fenwick Eagle GT

Post by Chromer » Mon May 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Has anyone used this rod for trout? I'm thinking about getting one for $40 at Cabelas. It's a 6'6 Light rod.

goonatic
Commander

Re: Fenwick Eagle GT

Post by goonatic » Mon May 12, 2014 9:41 pm

fenwick makes a good rod, and the eagles are decent, but for around that same price i like the okuma sst rods, the 7ft light or medium light are great for trout fishing with powerbait and powereggs,

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 pm

At the risk of stating the obvious, to correctly answer your question you would need to tell us how you fish for trout, the size of fish you fish for and catch, etc.

A Rod is simply a tool, nothing more, nothing less. Often I fish for Brown Trout that range from 10 inches to over 30 inches, using lures that most think are designed for Bass. For that use, I need a rod designed to fish lures of that size.

On the other hand, if I am using power bait, or worms, or ...... different rods, different tools.

It is unfortunate that rod companies do not have a consistent rating system for their rods, but in general, I follow the rules below: (for bait or lures, not fly fishing)

Small Trout (16" or less)- 6 pound power rating (line), 6'-6 to 7' long, slow or parabolic action.
Medium Trout (14" to 20") - 8 to 10 pound power rating, 6'-6 to 7', medium to fast tip action.
Large Trout (18" +) - 8 to 12 pound power rating, 6'-6 6o 7', fast tip to extra fast tip action.

Now, Fenwick makes a lot of different rods, to include the Eagle GT. Does the rod you are looking at fit any of the catagories above, and more importantly, does it fit a category you feel is important?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Mon May 12, 2014 10:59 pm

Chromer wrote:Has anyone used this rod for trout? I'm thinking about getting one for $40 at Cabelas. It's a 6'6 Light rod.
I actually do own this exact rod, and it is absolutely fine for trout. You can soak dough bait with it no problem and it'll cast any of your small spinners and spoons just fine.

Chromer
Petty Officer

Post by Chromer » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 am

I'll be trolling and casting lures with it primarily. I just had a Berkley Trout Dough rod but the tip snapped a couple days ago.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Chromer wrote:I'll be trolling and casting lures with it primarily. I just had a Berkley Trout Dough rod but the tip snapped a couple days ago.
In true Berkley fashion, they all break. You'll be much happier with Fenwick. Spinning for casting, level wind for trolling.
Well level wind for casting too, just spinners don't work too well being trolled, line twist with a vengeance.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!