Pre-Purchase, Advice Welcome

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
maverick23
Angler

Pre-Purchase, Advice Welcome

Post by maverick23 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:20 pm

First time poster on this forum but big forum advocate in general. Knowing how new posters can be ridiculed for inexperience, please read the whole post before formulating any thoughts! Thanks in advance.

Long story short, I am looking at going in with 2 friends on a 2002 SeaRay 210 Sundeck. It was sunk in about 30' of lk Tahoe a few years ago, pulled out and the hull wasn't compromise. Some dings, but nothing structural. It was run a few times since, after a 2007 Volvo Penta I/O was put in it, maybe ~20 hours on that powertrain, all in this boat. Took in water in the engine compartment, but a slow leak and was likely a worn drain plug. Saw it yesterday and that story checks out.

Now for the redeeming part - the two friends and myself are mechanically inclined and generally risk-averse. The seller is my friend's cousin, whom I know fairly well as I am very close with him and his family, so this is not a typical arms-length transaction - we will all be seeing each other for many years. Seller and partner are abruptly moving to Phoenix for a job, and need to liquidate the boat. Our price is $5000 total, split three ways, and dual axle ez loader included.

My question here: Assuming our lake trial is satisfactory (engine performs and the drain/leak issue is reseolved), what else should I be watching for in this transaction? Politely not looking for advice on the subtleties of co-owning a boat, but more so asking for things I may be overlooking in mechanically/structurally. Don't think mold/mildew will be a huge problem since it got dried out but that is on my radar.

Thanks in advance!

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Re: Pre-Purchase, Advice Welcome

Post by fishslayer80 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 pm

suggest you check the electrical connections for corrosion

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 pm

I would be very concerned. How long was it under? My biggest concern would be the wood. Boats are filled with wood. Some are Greenwood and lots are not. Especially in 2002 and older. I believe most boats went Greenwood in 2004 and newer. Here in lies the problem. Transom, stringers, floors get water logged and not only gain the water weight but begin to rot. Especially if it were a few years ago. Since you are getting this boat on a great deal, my advice (and probably the most sound advice you will get) is to spend the $300.00 and get a professional survey done. I purchased a boat that I didnt get one done on, and really wish I did. Sold it. Was ready to buy again and got a survey done on a Maxum 2300 SC. The surveyor goes out, looks at EVERYTHING and then gives you a FULL report on everything. At the end of it, if you are still wanting the boat, you will have a report of what needs fixing and what doesnt. I did not end up with that boat. I was ready to, but last minute a great boat popped up and we got that one :) Get the survey. [thumbup]

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:24 am

Wouldn't even consider being part of the deal.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:44 am

ResQ wrote:I would be very concerned. How long was it under? My biggest concern would be the wood. Boats are filled with wood. Some are Greenwood and lots are not. Especially in 2002 and older. I believe most boats went Greenwood in 2004 and newer. Here in lies the problem. Transom, stringers, floors get water logged and not only gain the water weight but begin to rot. Especially if it were a few years ago. Since you are getting this boat on a great deal, my advice (and probably the most sound advice you will get) is to spend the $300.00 and get a professional survey done. I purchased a boat that I didnt get one done on, and really wish I did. Sold it. Was ready to buy again and got a survey done on a Maxum 2300 SC. The surveyor goes out, looks at EVERYTHING and then gives you a FULL report on everything. At the end of it, if you are still wanting the boat, you will have a report of what needs fixing and what doesnt. I did not end up with that boat. I was ready to, but last minute a great boat popped up and we got that one :) Get the survey. [thumbup]
I agree with everything ResQ said, especially the survey. It's cheap insurance and will tell you what you need to know. Split like the purchase price, it's a drop in the bucket. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

maverick23
Angler

Post by maverick23 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for all of the info - I was curious about the wood (if any) in the design. For what it is worth, the Sea Ray brochure for this model states: "Integral composite stringer system (no structural wood)"

I find this phrasing frustrating as a composite stringer system doesn't mean there is no structural wood, as I read it anyway. I'll look into that claim with Sea Ray directly.

Thanks for the thoughts on the wiring as well!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 am

Well for 1500 bucks sounds like a bargain, if it does need anything. Defo get a survey done. Even if you get a few years out if it for 1500 I think its cheap.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 am

Well, 1500 is a bargain. BUT if you have to replace the transom, or stringers, or foam, floor or gas tank you will be into it far more than 15,000+. That does not include your initial 1500 investment. If the boat is solid, them 1500 is very cheap, if not it's a very expensive anchor. Or fishing structure :) (from under water). Why did it sink in the first place? And how Lon was it under? Fiberglass can rot. No matter what you hear, it can.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 am

that's when you have to know when to cut your losses, if it still comes out cheaper than buying a new one or one of the same year than ya its a nightmare to think about and you might as well pony up to start with.
I once bought a blue water for 4k, had to put in a new stringer, new floor, new carpet and one day a solenoid went out on me, only cost 50bucks to fix but after that i was done with it. There is a lot to be said for turn key, the old saying you get what you pay for applies.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:58 pm

If its not in your name it might be worth it. People are just talking boat costs right now three party ownership could have drastic money issues. Somebody gets a big ticket or something dumb now its all three of your problem. One person doesn't want to split cost of repairs. What happens when it breaks one Guy wants to sell two don't? Your buddy ruins lower unit and doesn't care. To each there own but would never go through a deal like that.

swb69
Petty Officer

Post by swb69 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 am

Don't know if I am too late but hears my 2 cents worth. With the engine being changed out the main things I would be concerned with will be dry rot, electronics, and the control cables. Water will get into the cables and rust them solid. Had it happen on a bass boat. My local repair shop told me it was a $1000 fix. I only paid $2500 for the boat. I did look at doing it myself and the parts were about $500. I would figure on replacing all wiring, lights, anything on the helm, engine compartment, ect. You may not have to replace these at first but in time they will corrode. Dry rot could be a huge problem. It all depends on how long it was under, and the construction of the boat. I was once told by a boat salesman that all boats use some wood in them, even "all fiberglass" boats. A boat inspection would certainly help,but I am rather cheap so I don't think I would pay for it on a $1500 boat, but that's me. The price sounds good and you and your buddies being able to do the work will help a lot. I don't that $5000 will be enough, though. Boat parts are expensive. If it were me I would probably go for it expecting that the boat will have issues.
Any time fishing is time well spent.