Pontoon boat anchor weight and style recommendations

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Pontoon boat anchor weight and style recommendations

Post by Kevin K » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi all, hope everyone is having a great holiday season. I recently picked up a 12 foot two man pontoon boat for drifting rivers (Northfork Outdoors Outlaw Challenger), and was wondering if any of you had recommendations for anchor weight/style for the rivers in Western WA. I'll primarily be using it around King/Sno Counties and the Hump, Satsop, and Wynoochee when I go see the fam. Thanks in advance.

mallard83
Commodore

Re: Pontoon boat anchor weight and style recommendations

Post by mallard83 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I have a 4 sided 20 lb lead pyramid that holds my 10' steelheader in pretty decent flows. I got mine from a guy in marysville that pours all kinds of lead fishing related weights. He pops up on craigslist often in the fishing/sporting section. Can't remember his name or number though.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:19 pm

I rigged up a 2-1 pulley reduction system and handmade 25 pound pyramid weight for my two person pontoon. Yet to try out the heavier weight but it worked great on a 10 pound anchor. BTW, pontoon boats are not meant to anchor in heavy current. Be ready to cut free if you have problems.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Thank you both.