float tube one person fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
DeLukefur
Petty Officer

float tube one person fishing

Post by DeLukefur » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Hello all! I was wondering about fishing from a float tube, what are the pros and cons about them. I was looking at some of them and maybe even getting one.

thanks, Luke
One of my favorite things to do is fish for bass. My favorite setup is a G-Loomis GL2 popping with a Abu Garcia Revo SX bait caster.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: float tube one person fishing

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Luke,, Float tubes... you're talking about my world.
Float tubes can be great,depending on what you are fishing for, and what you purchase.
I have an aluminum boat, kayaks, pontoon boats, float tubes, and a partialy built wooden boat. The thing that I use the most is def. my float tubes. ( fish mostly bass in small urban lakes from the tube, or trout fish in strange small lakes that dont' allow gas engines)
In my opinion you should completely stay away from what I call a "Belly boat" This is one that looks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Z4Satm ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; skip out to the middle of the video and you will see the tube. This is what i call a circular belly boat. These types of tubes do not move through the water very well. The have a rounded back that doesn't "Cut" through the water. You also sit in a sling type of seat, therefor you are very low in the water. The water level can acually be up around your stomach area.
I prefer a tube that is shaped like this one:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2907681762 ... s&var=sbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the back end of the tube, it is pointed. It cuts through the water very well. You could literally troll from it, as long as your legs held up anyway. There is plenty of storage room for your gear along the sides. The most important part to me is that you are sitting on a sort of seat that keeps you above the water. On this tube you will only be in the water from about your knee caps and below. Dryer, warmer, and easier to swing your arms around and work a fish, rather than being up to you belly in water.
Downside... it will cost you more money. Sure you can buy a cheap belly boat for 50 bucks on Craigslist, then there are some U-boat shaped ones that are about 120 bucks, but still have square rear ends, and are slow.
I have 2 that are like the one I linked above, The Outcast Super Fat Cat. I also have attachments such as a rod holder that holds 4 rods. Anchors... all though you don't really need it often. Trolling rod holders. You can put some low budget fish finders on them, and the Super fat cat style, has room behind the seat to store a few things, although it will be wet. (fish caught, etc.) You can buy a nice tube, but you can skimp on the fins if you want. I've got cheap fins, maybe 20 bucks. Take me everywhere. If you trust the water quality in the lakes you are in... then you can be in your shorts. But honestly, the issue is "Swimmer's itch" caused from a parasite spread by water fow, (geese poop) I recommend wearing thin summer waders in the summer. I use standard winter neoprene waders in the winter. And I do use the tube when there is snow on the ground.
There are various pumps available as well. I think this one is the best:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1106961442 ... s&var=sbar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But again, you can go budget, and get something else.

Some people think that wind is an issue, and a need for an achor. I have an anchor, but think it is a hassle to carry and use. I find that you legs are in constant motion, and you just are always manuevering yourself around your target, wind or no wind.
Have fun! [thumbup]

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 pm

Quad brings up some very good points. I've been fishing from a tube for 14 years now. Quite honestly, I prefer it over a boat, but that's just me. It's an effective and inexpensive way to fish. I've been using a a Cadddis Navigator IV latlely and love it. Individual toons as well as the backrest. Stay away from the donuts or round ones, as he has said. I have a tube similar to what Quad is referring to, but for myself, I prefer to sit lower. I fish year round and use breathable waders. In winter, I just layer up. They work all year. I won't fish in shorts very often. There are leeches in a lot of lakes I fish as well as the swimmers itch aka duck mites. I know you're close to me and if you ever want to see what I use or how or whatever, pm me. I live in Belfair, work in Port Orchard and I fish a lot. There is a lot of water around here. I have a lot of info that I'm more than willing to share on the waters around here. Check out my photobucket too for pics of what you can catch in the tube
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm

I loved my tube. Float tubes really came into their own in the Pacific Northwest, from Twin Falls Idaho through Boise, into Oregon, and Washington. In the early 70's, they were made out of canvas. Then, with Bucks Bags, Caddis, etc., they really started to advance.

The round tube is what I owned for so many years. They are slow to move, but very stable and can make excellent fishing platforms. I gave my last two to my son and his wife when my knee gave out and I could not use it anymore.

I had the Pontoon, 9', and It was great, but I think I still loved the stable platform of the round tube.vv #-o

Today and at my age, I find the 18' 90 horse driven boat gets all the attention, but, there was a time,..........

I kind of miss my old tube!