First time boat owner

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Ray620
Angler

First time boat owner

Post by Ray620 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

I just moved to Washington a few months ago and decided that I want to buy a small boat before spring. I found a small 11' Coleman Crawdad boat (plastic) on Craigslist and decided on it. It does not have a trailer and I'm not 100% sure what is the best route to get this thing in the water. I will mainly be loading & unloading myself. Should I even bother with the boat ramp or drag it down a bank? Also, I've read that since the boat is less than 16ft and will have a motor less than 10 hp on it that I do not need a license or registration for the state of Washington. Am I right on this? What other things do I have to have to not get a in trouble if I get checked out on the water?

Thanks,

Ray

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Re: First time boat owner

Post by urbanangler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Welcome to the evergray state! I have been using a 12' plastic Porta-bote for about 5 years. I carry it on top of my car, load and unload it by myself, and usually launch it off a bank. You don't need to license your boat unless you want to be on Lake Washington, Lake Union, Lake Sammamish, or the Columbia River, as they are deemed federally navigable waters. I licensed mine to go on Lake Washington and Union, and to have the option for Sammamish. All you need is to carry a personal floatation device for you and your passengers. And I think you would need lights for running at night, but I don't do that.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:58 pm

What kind of vehicle do you have to haul it on now? If you have a truck its easy, Car not so much.

Ray620
Angler

Post by Ray620 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm

edge540 wrote:What kind of vehicle do you have to haul it on now? If you have a truck its easy, Car not so much.
I got a 92 S10, fits pretty good with about maybe 3-4 feet sticking out the back.

Ray620
Angler

Post by Ray620 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:28 pm

urbanangler wrote:Welcome to the evergray state! I have been using a 12' plastic Porta-bote for about 5 years. I carry it on top of my car, load and unload it by myself, and usually launch it off a bank. You don't need to license your boat unless you want to be on Lake Washington, Lake Union, Lake Sammamish, or the Columbia River, as they are deemed federally navigable waters. I licensed mine to go on Lake Washington and Union, and to have the option for Sammamish. All you need is to carry a personal floatation device for you and your passengers. And I think you would need lights for running at night, but I don't do that.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can put this thing on the water soon. Thinking I'm going to try Alder Lake out first.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Your all set then, put it in and hang a bright yellow flag off the back. On some of the steeper launches you can back the truck down till the tailgate is about at the water and slide the boat out like its on a trailer. It will just take some time out using it to see what works best. Good luck :salut:

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I've seen kayak owners wheel their boats down to the water with a wheel or wheel that strapped on to one end. I'd look into something like that to avoid damaging the bottom. One of the nice things about smaller boats is that you can explore waters bigger boats don't have access to due to lack of ramps so giving yourself a way to move the boat a few dozen yards could be very handy.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Look into making or buying a dolly for the boat, what Sculpin King described. I made one for my canoe using wheel barrel wheels and a 2"x4". If you have a small boat take advantage of these small non-pressured lakes. They should have some hawgs in them.

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:30 am

Yes, a dolly or some sort of wheels are good. I have clamp on wheels so I can assemble the boat in a parking lot then wheels it to the shore.

Eddie L
Warrant Officer

Post by Eddie L » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:16 pm

For small boats and cartoppers ride in tracks permanently installed on the transom
Wheels lock in the "down" position for pulling/transporting overland. After launching, they lock in the "up" position.
Made of anodized marine aluminum and stainless steel
Injection molded wheels are easily removed for storage or theft prevention
Attachments
small boat launching wheels.jpg
small boat launching wheels.jpg (7.16 KiB) Viewed 2099 times

Ray620
Angler

Post by Ray620 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 am

Eddie L wrote:For small boats and cartoppers ride in tracks permanently installed on the transom
Wheels lock in the "down" position for pulling/transporting overland. After launching, they lock in the "up" position.
Made of anodized marine aluminum and stainless steel
Injection molded wheels are easily removed for storage or theft prevention

Do you have a link to where I can buy those?

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Google search for "small boat launching wheels" and clicking on the shopping results link listed multiple vendors for the wheels.