Lund Rebel 1625 XL opinions

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
KevinS
Petty Officer

Lund Rebel 1625 XL opinions

Post by KevinS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 am

I'm the latest person who is seriously considering buying their first boat. I've been fishing out of my canoe for the last couple of years and want to get onto larger water (fresh only). I'm not in any rush to buy, but the water is calling me... [-o<

I'm interested in the Lund Rebel XL 1625 SS (single console) and welcome your opinions. Here's the link to the model: http://lundboats.com/boats/2011-aluminu ... el-xl-boat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Rebel appears to be a boat that I can handle by myself when fishing alone. I can still fish smaller lakes, but the Rebel is big enough for the larger lakes. I plan on using the Rebel for bass and trolling for trout.

I'm limited to 19' 6" of garage length, so the Rebel will just fit. Boat upgrades will be a 60 HP motor, the trolling motor to a 24V system, and aft flip-up seating (for more aft casting deck space). Hoping to see the Rebel at the next Sportsmen show or at least get more info from a Lund dealer.

Thank you for your comments,
Kevin

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Re: Lund Rebel 1625 XL opinions

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 am

That is certainly a handsome looking rig. One thing I would take into consideration is purchasing a "Lightly used" rig. Boats are just like cars. Once they leave the driveway of the dealer their value heads for the basement. However, there is something to be said for buying a brand new boat. You get the factory warranty, you know what you are getting, and don't have to wonder if someone else has taken care of the rig before you got it. If spending the extra money for a new one is not an issue, I say buy new. I have never owed a Lund but I do know they have a great reputation for quality. The upgrade to the 60 hp motor will really push a smaller boat around well, and the 24V trolling motor should have no trouble lasting all day. Don't short yourself on the lbs of thrust on the trolling motor. Although the alum boats are light weight and don't require a lot of thrust to move around well, they can sometimes get blown around in the wind and cause you to run the trolling motor a bit more often. Nothing worse than fighting the wind. Once again, that's a great looking boat. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am

I've looked real hard at them but just the open one, tiller steer. The fellow I spoke with at the last show who was not a salesperson has the open one with a 30 horse Merc prop and he says if he runs it flat out it's fast enough to be real scary. So I'm guessing a couple seats and some plywood should add up to scary with an extra 30, perfect. Pretty light boat.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:00 pm

With the link I found 2 boats to build the way I might like.
http://www.lundboats.com/buildboat/show ... T20:57:14Z
and

http://www.lundboats.com/buildboat/show ... T20:59:34Z

Just dreaming
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:27 pm

During the last 6 months or so I have posted two "Blogs" about our research, purchasing experience and satisfaction with our Lund boat. I tried to create a link to My "Blog" posts but was not able to figure out how. The short story is; we love the boat. It is very stable, fuel efficient and handles anything we have been out in with confidence. Between work, family stuff and a boat remodeling project we haven't been out in a month or so but typically we run the boat every weekend. Our boat is a 1650 Renegade and we purchased the boat bare bones knowing that we would be upgrading the interior. We are adding additional storage, a live well and some fly-casting platforms and hope to have the project wrapped up in a month or so.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:53 pm

You mentioned that you have 19' 6" of garage space for a 16' boat. With the outboard and the trailer tongue, you'll want to check overall trailered length at the show just to be sure it will fit. I have a swing tongue and trying to fit my 18' 6" boat in a 24' space is tight! You may have to angle it in for the last foot or so to get it to fit. Whatever you can do to get any boat you end up owning in your garage, do it! You will never regret it.

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. Also good to hear from an actual Lund owner about being pleased with ownership.

As for the boat's length and my garage, a Rebel 1625 XL owner in another forum measured his rig's maximum length at 19' 4" (swing tongue in to end of motor). I REALLY need to confirm this because I have a post in the middle of my garage, so angling the boat to the side isn't much of an option.

I prefer storing the boat in my garage because a neighbor had an outboard motor and an expensive prop stolen off his two boats at a "secure" storage site.

Thanks again and for any additional replies,
Kevin

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm

The post won't be an issue. With that tight a fit, you'll want to finish parking the trailer in the garage by hand. If you back the boat in and are just a bit too long, come back out a bit and just push the tongue to one side or the other while backing it in. You can shave a good 6" to 12" off the required length by doing this. The boat you are looking at is probably light enough that you wouldn't need a jack with a caster/wheel on it, but it would make the job much easier if it did.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:29 pm

That is a great, and your dead on about the 60 Horse engine. A friend of mine bought one a couple years ago that came with the standard 40 hp mercury. With 3 guys at all weighing 220 and a couple fishing poles it wouldn't even come close to getting on plane. It was a total dog with only 2 guys and he ended up getting a 60 hp that made it a whole new boat. Nice stable fishing platform with alot of good storage.

Just realize that Sylvan makes all of the Lund, smokercraft, Northland and a bunch of others. Some cost alot more for the name brand on the sticker so get what is important to you. I would strongly consider a lightly used boat. If you find the rite boat that has been garaged and cared for you can get deal. You will spend a couple grand on all kinds of gear from fish finder to trolling motors on a new boat but if you find one that is set up how you want it will be a huge savings. Just make darn sure that you know what your looking at or have it checked out by a good shop and test drive it.

If you just want to buy new then go for it, nothing wrong there either. [thumbsup]

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:01 pm

With nearly 0 extra length or width of garage to work with, I've been considering a powered trailer dolly to guide the boat into the garage (driveway has a slight incline), such as the AC5 model: http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The powered dolly is an expensive option, but damaging the boat, motor and/or garage will cost more. I'm a single guy, so I won't always have someone to assist/guide me in backing the trailer into the garage using just my truck.
Last edited by KevinS on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:44 pm

A little correction for edge 540.

Lunds are NOT built by Sylvan. Lund is a part of the Brunswick family. Along with Aquador, Arvor, Bayliner, Bella, Boston Whaler, Cabo, CGP, Crestliner, Cypress Cay, Flipper, Harris Flote Boat, Hatteras, Lowe, Mercury, Meridian, princecraft, Protector, Quicksilver, Rayglass, Searay, Suncruiser, Triton, Triphy, Uttern, and Valient. Plus several marine parts manufacturers and distributors. I worked for several of the Brunswick brands for 22 years. Have been in most of the domestic boat plants as well as a few of the European plants.

Sylvan is part of the Smokercraft family of boats.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Let's see if I can get rseas excellent Blog posts to link:

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/BlogPost.aspx?bpid=224

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/BlogPost.aspx?bpid=240

These are well written Blogs with some invaluable information for a new boat buyer. I encourage you to take a moment and read them.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".