Finding cats in a lake new to you.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
aquaholic
Petty Officer

Finding cats in a lake new to you.

Post by aquaholic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi am new to catfishing and new to Liberty lake wich i was told produces nice chanells, Is there anything i am supposed to look for in the lake where they like to hangout?? deep shalow, rocky or grass? any idea for someone clueless? Thanks

JT26
Commander

RE:Finding cats in a lake new to you.

Post by JT26 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:07 pm

Shallow Bays and lillie pads in the evening

Paul & Sammi
Petty Officer

Post by Paul & Sammi » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:50 pm

There are channel catfish in Liberty Lake? Are you sure? I've never heard of them in any lake near Spokane except Sprague. And the fish and wildlife people are sadly planning to kill this lake off in October. I will go fish Liberty a time or two if they are really in there.

There are bullheads in every lake around here, I think. We catch them everywhere. Got one in Diamond lake friday evening while fishing on the bottom for perch, and a nice 15 1/2 incher in Eloika last night while fishing for crappie with a jig and bobber. It put up a heck of a fight and was really fun on ultralight gear!

They will eat just about anything but really like worms and nightcrawlers. We catch them right off the bottom or in areas with a lot of weeds, usually right at dusk. I really like catfish. We always toss them back, but they put up a great fight and I think they are a really cool looking fish. lol

aquaholic
Petty Officer

Post by aquaholic » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:37 pm

I am not sure anymore about channel cats in liberty, i fished the lake more then dozed of times and havent caught one, I caught like 5-6 or 14-18 inch but they look blueish brownish like. not like the white with black spots i catch at fernan lake in idaho.