Got my new swimbait rod now I got a question.

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Got my new swimbait rod now I got a question.

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I finally got my swimbait rod and reel I've been looking for. Ended up with a new Shimano Simitar 8' 6" MH action with a fast tip. I paired it up with a new Curado E7. (Them E7's are sure pretty) :) I plan to use it for all my swimbait fishing throwing hard and soft baits for both Bass and toothy critters, but I'm not sure what line to put on it. I was thinking of going with a heavy braid (like 65#) but wondering if that would be over kill. Would I be better off with a 20 to 30 # braid? Anyone think mono would be a good choice? I always use 4 feet of 60# fluoro leader so not sure I'd ever need the heavy braid.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Natebg1
Lieutenant

RE:Got my new swimbait rod now I got a question.

Post by Natebg1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Hey There Fishin Fool,

In my opinion and it is completely up to your style, I would go with a 30 lb Test Braid in Sufix. You can't go wrong with this stuff, it almost seems indestructable. I LOVE this line and swear by it, no matter what anyone else says!!! I can tell you that I have tested this line against Spider Wire, Power Pro and Offbrand braids and nothing even comes Close to the durability, smoothness, and castability. If you have never tried Sufix, give it a chance and I will almost guarantee you will never use any other braid again. I know that is a bold statement, but I was hooked after the first time of using it and I have never looked back. Sufix also has a new brand that also came out that is suppose to actually be water resistant, meaning that it doesn't break down and get soaked while on the reel. Good Luck, hope to see you at the Pike Tournament on the 26th of March!!! Look forward to meeting!!!

Nate
Ch. 57

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Natebg1 wrote:Hey There Fishin Fool,

Good Luck, hope to see you at the Pike Tournament on the 26th of March!!! Look forward to meeting!!!

Nate
Ch. 57
I will be there for sure, So look me up I run a 178 Champion with Fish-N-Fool lures on the side. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks.
Inventor of the Fish-N-Fool Knot , Winner of Knot Wars

Watch my Fish-N-Fool Show on YouTube
oAoqZvrqY7o

Meeks9591
Warrant Officer

Post by Meeks9591 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Well if you fish tourney's, check with the club or circut, in all the tourneys I've fished the rod cant be longer than 8'. On my swimbait rod I usually throw 20 lb flourocarbon. And for my huge swimbaits I throw 25lb flourocarbon. Braid works well, also it has less backlashes especially with heavey baits. I use powerpro and powerpro only.. 65# test is the only size I throw also.
Millions of lakes, millions of fish, 1 angler 1 life, live it and fish it!
I'm an ADDICTED TROPHY HUNTER.

jigman
Petty Officer

Post by jigman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:39 am

I run a number of swimbait rods and run mono on all of them, probably 20-25 lbs. test on the rod you have. Maxima Ultragreen is the line I use, it's strong and blends well with the water color in the northwest. I'm not a huge fan of braid but it does work well in weedy areas as it will cut through the weeds as mono tends to load up. Sufix or Vicious braid are a couple good brands. Mike.