Anchor types?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Anchor types?

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:41 pm

:-k

Ok, I wasn't sure which forum to place this in, so it winds up here. I need better anchors for my 14 ft. Lund. I have one of those kind that sort of unfolds and then supposedly graps into the sandy bottom. Also I have a 15 pound one that is a rounded bottom with sort of a cone top. ( I know the rounded bottom one is bogus, but it is just what was lying in the garage.)
What do you all think is the best type/style to get? Most importanly, how heavy an anchor for this boat?
With the two that I described I am dragging bottom when in a moderate wind. I don't mean raging wind, but something I might still fish in. And yes........ the anchors are definetly on the bottom.

Thanks,
Chris
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

juicyjay504
Angler

RE:Anchor types?

Post by juicyjay504 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:44 pm

I use a big ass cinder block easy and cheap and holds my boat pretty well

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:23 pm

Try a 15# lead pyramid anchor. I use a 10# pyramid on my pontoon boat and my Basshound 10.2 and it holds just fine. The 10#er holds my pontoon in one place in pretty heavy water in the rivers that I float. So I figure a 15 or possibly a 20#er would hold your boat good enough.

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:03 pm

You have a grapple style anchor, which are the all round best some argue a Navy style is better but they both work on the same priciple. I think you are missing 2 major things for a good anchor set. 1 you need a foot of chain for every foot your boat is. This prevents the drift. What is happening is your anchor line is floating allowing the anchor to skip on the bottom A 14ft lund is a pretty light boat so you only need about 10 ft of chain before you attach your anchor line. #2 on a grapple anchor once your hit bottom, put the engine in gear so the grapple digs into the bottom. Once a grapple anchor is set and the arm in at a 90 degree angle to the bottom, with a good chain in place you will not drift. They anchor battleships this way