Fish Mutilation

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
pumpkin
Petty Officer

Fish Mutilation

Post by pumpkin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:52 pm

I was fishing down on the Snoqualmie where the raging river enters in Fall City and there was a row of about ten or twelve dead kings laying there. The weird thing was all of them had there heads cut cleanly open from their nose to the back or their head. They weren't hacked open they were cleanly sliced from nose to past the back of their heads. I thought it might be a government study or something but these fish weren't super old, I mean they weren't fresh, but they hadn't spawned out and number of them were full of eggs. So I don't know why the government would do that to a bunch of unspawned kings. Anybody ever seen anything like this before?

goodtimesfishing
Captain

RE:Fish Mutilation

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:17 pm

There is an i.d. tag in the head of some hatchery salmon. When fish checkers swipe a scanner over the fishes head, it beeps if the fish has a tag(tag has information like when, where,hatchery,and river). The cut you are describing sounds just like the cut fish checkers do to the fish people have that are tagged, then they send the head portion to a lab to retrieve the information on the tag. Sounds to me like that is what has been done to those fish, maybe found dead already, so removed the part they need and left the rest for mother nature.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:29 pm

I saw the checkers at the salt just cut the nose off and send it in.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

code3daddy
Petty Officer

Post by code3daddy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:29 pm

hope you grabbed those eggs though :o)

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 am

uuummmm ....that would be possession of "parts there of" wouldnt it ???......DOG

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 am

code3daddy wrote:hope you grabbed those eggs though :o)
that would be harvesting and also pouching.....so yeah...have fun with that ticket.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 am

I dont think its legal to take eggs from dead salmon. I did this once years ago on the Wenatchee thinking what a waste to just not let them out. I was warned then. Havent done it since.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 am

Those fish were part of a spawning ground survey. They heads were cut for 1 of 2 reasons, either collecting Coded Wire Tags in the snout, or otolith recovery. From the sounds of it (the way the cuts were made) they were after the otoliths. If the fish were sampled they had died from natural causes, it is not uncommon to see fish with some eggs left in them even after they spawn, it is also not uncommon to have pre-spawn mortality in some fish that never make it to redd. As far as taking the eggs goes, I believe it would not be lawful to do so, but more importantly the fish were probably super ripe by that point and they eggs would likely be free of the skein making them useless as bait.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Yea, I saw how they did the surveys on an episode of The Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs. They slice the fish, if it's got a tag in it they take out the jaw it's for the science purpose of age health and whatnot. They mark the fish so that they know they've counted it. They did it with dead salmon in the rivers. I've seen the checkers floating down the green/duwamish rivers doing it.

cudaman
Warrant Officer

Post by cudaman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 pm

some friends of mine work for WDFW doing spawner surveys . And kings in the Raging commonly die before spawning .I know they,ve been in the Snoqualmie area lately I,ll find out tommorow
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nw tiger pac chapter 57

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

cudaman wrote:some friends of mine work for WDFW doing spawner surveys . And kings in the Raging commonly die before spawning .I know they,ve been in the Snoqualmie area lately I,ll find out tommorow
Another important consideration to make is that salmon frequently retain up to 20% of their egg load after spawning, and therefore will continue spewing ripe eggs after they have died even though they have already distributed the majority of their eggs on the redd.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."