Web Cams at favorite sites

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
rodrob43
Petty Officer

Web Cams at favorite sites

Post by rodrob43 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:28 pm

How many of you have left home with boat in tow and arrived at your favorite fishing hole and see nothing but whitecaps? I love to fish the Columbia both above and below McNary Dam. Earlier this week I looked at the weather reports at Umatilla; mild wind was reported. Locally there was maybe a 5 mph wind; I hooked up my boat and took off. Forty miles later I crest the hill above Patterson and all I can see are whitecaps. All that's left is to turn around and drive the 40 miles back home. That's expensive these days! How can we as a club get some webcams like the DOT pass cams but aimed at the Columbia, Banks Lake, Potholes, etc. Then we could go to a website and check the wind/water reports. :) That would be awesome! Wonder if some sporting goods companies would sponsor this type of endeavor? I know I'd be willing to put $25 in the pot. Let's hear from you guys and gals out there.

Thanks,

Rodrob43
Here's to cool, clear water with big fish!

G-Man
Admiral

RE:Web Cams at favorite sites

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:38 pm

It a great idea and one that we have covered before. There are a ton of web cams already setup and running that look out over a large number of rivers and lakes that we like to fish. Here is a thread that has a bunch of links to various web cams: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... bcams.aspx

I'm not sure if any of the links have been "attached" to their respective lake information page or if that is still in the works. I just use google to check if there are any web cams in areas that I am going to fish. Another one that I can think of is the WSDOT ferry website. They have a few cams that provide a shot of the water conditions, right now it looks like glass out at Fauntleroy.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodrob43
Petty Officer

Post by rodrob43 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:55 am

Thanks for the post G-Man. That solves part of the problem, still need looks at the various Columbia/Snake River dams.
Here's to cool, clear water with big fish!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:36 am

Now you got me thinkin :scratch:

A few years back I created a web page that was local to my PC that polled the highway cameras that were on my route home from work.

I think Im gonna do the same with a page that has my boating spots on it.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 pm

RODROB,

Get creative with your web searches, "Vantage bridge web cam" and "Dalles web cam" will lead you straight to these site: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/vantage/
http://www.alltravelcams.com/the_dalles ... dalles.php
I'm sure there are plenty more out there to be found.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm

Web Cams are great ideas. But whos gonna pay for them? Our state is broke. Our counties are just as broke.To further go on from G man ,if you go to the Wa State DOT they have cams everywhere from the mountain passes to hiway 101 along the coast.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:43 pm

racfish wrote:Web Cams are great ideas. But whos gonna pay for them? Our state is broke. Our counties are just as broke.To further go on from G man ,if you go to the Wa State DOT they have cams everywhere from the mountain passes to hiway 101 along the coast.
I'm one of thoses people that are geeky enough (its a good thing) to host a weather station with web cam if I had anything interesting to report. The local school net covers my place and I dont have a view of anything worth looking at.

You wouldnt believe how many people do this for a hobbie. :cyclops:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm

The Weather Underground has personal weather stations all over the country. Here is one for the Umatilla area.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstat ... =KORUMATI2

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:31 am

racfish wrote:Web Cams are great ideas. But whos gonna pay for them? Our state is broke. Our counties are just as broke.To further go on from G man ,if you go to the Wa State DOT they have cams everywhere from the mountain passes to hiway 101 along the coast.
future Premium Membership benefit... as soon as we launch our satelite.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:50 am

P
Mike Carey wrote:
future Premium Membership benefit... as soon as we launch our satelite.
nice Mike lol I would pay double to be a part of that
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”