Grrrrrrrr! (snort)

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
reelman
Warrant Officer

Grrrrrrrr! (snort)

Post by reelman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:55 pm

I was fishing the Spokane River tonight. It amazed me the amount of trash that floats down that river, and I'm not just talking about the inbred idiots on K-mart rafts. We currently can't keep any fish from the Spokane because of the PCB, lead and mercury levels in the Spokane. Realizing that, you would think that people would want to nurse the river back to health, but instead I watched a floatilla of white trash float by, and surrounding them was the bottles and cans they were too lazy or too self centered to pack out themselves. When I confronted them, they all denied anything to do with the garbage, of course. They all had that characteristic laugh that says, "My parents are related. Uh-hyuck" Justice may come quickly; I saw some of them later. They asked if I'd had any luck. When I said yes, they looked surprised and asked "What? You didn't keep them?" Well that may explain the knuckle dragging; they're eating fish from the Spokane! Oh, and the icing on the cake is that it's a selective gear section and they were chucking worms. It is possible they can't read the regs, and it hasn't been published in the "Little Words, Big Type, Lots of Pictures" version yet. GRRRRRR!
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Grrrrrrrr! (snort)

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:43 am

Although it isn't great now, it was far worse in the '50's & 60's. It wasn't until Expo '74 the community took any interest in cleaning up the Spokane River.

Rivers have always attracted strange people especially at night. If I fish the river in the evening, I always go with someone and not by myself. I have seen some very dangerous people hanging out by the river banks in the evening. You also have the problem of car break ins along the Centennial Trail.

When I seriously want to fish a river, I go over to the St. Joe or the Clark Fork. There isn't the trash, both in the human and material form in and around the river.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 am

You know Marc, I was actually told by an officer that it might me smart to obtain a concealed weapons permit if I was going to fish the Spokane in the Evening.

I have not fished it since, but then again, I haven't got a concealed weapons permit either. I never thought I'd even consider getting one to fish so close to home.#-o :-&
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:37 am

I most always carry my pistol to the lake, unless I forget for some reason, or am in someone else's boat, and most every other place I go to. My 'concelable pistol license' will be renewed next month.
Tom.

Interests: living

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 am

Anglinarcher wrote:You know Marc, I was actually told by an officer that it might me smart to obtain a concealed weapons permit if I was going to fish the Spokane in the Evening.

I have not fished it since, but then again, I haven't got a concealed weapons permit either. I never thought I'd even consider getting one to fish so close to home.#-o :-&
There are better streams to fish around here than the Spokane River. Just gotta be willing to go to greater lengths to access them. :-"

It's a real crying shame, though, because that is obviously the nicest river you could ask for. It would be the best stream fishing bar none if it didn't flow through a metropolitan.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:05 am

FishTank wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:You know Marc, I was actually told by an officer that it might me smart to obtain a concealed weapons permit if I was going to fish the Spokane in the Evening.

There are better streams to fish around here than the Spokane River. Just gotta be willing to go to greater lengths to access them. :-"

It's a real crying shame, though, because that is obviously the nicest river you could ask for. It would be the best stream fishing bar none if it didn't flow through a metropolitan.
I should ask which ones you mean, but come on, the Upper Spokane is 15 minutes from my house. Given 30 minutes I can be at the State Line. Wouldn't it be nice to SAFELY go fly fishing in the evening after work?
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

FishTank
Petty Officer

Post by FishTank » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 am

Anglinarcher wrote:
FishTank wrote:

I should ask which ones you mean, but come on, the Upper Spokane is 15 minutes from my house. Given 30 minutes I can be at the State Line. Wouldn't it be nice to SAFELY go fly fishing in the evening after work?
I definitely agree with you there. I've gone through some frustrating lengths to get any public access on some streams that are scarcely fished by anyone else. The Spokane River is the closest thing we have to real stream fishing, and it's virtually a big waste of time--ya know, because I actually like to eat my trout when I catch some nice ones.

I'm still pretty new to the area and I've been making some one to two hour drives. I may as well be going to St. Joe or Clark Fork. But it can be rewarding when I do find nice spots to fish, especially when public access is virtually non-existent and I happen to be fishing where no one else has seemed willing to try.

Haven't done well with the trout, though. I keep finding all kinds of bass. :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”