Portable Fish Finders

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
galep53
Angler

Portable Fish Finders

Post by galep53 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a portable fish finder up to 300.00 that includes a speed reading? This will be used on a 16' aluminum drift boat with an electric motor for trolling. I am looking at the Humminbirds, but they say the speed reading is accurate from 2 to 70 mph. I'm specifically looking to target kokanee and need one that will accurately give the low speed readings I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your help!

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

RE:Portable Fish Finders

Post by VooDuuChild » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:04 pm

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... EVIEW.aspx

I have the one linked above (it's an old review so most of the replies have been erased I assume to save bandwidth). I never purchased the speed sensor for it but am going to be soon. I too was wondering how people are getting their speeds so precise when trolling....!!?? Ya know, like I was trolling between 1.3 and 1.6 mph ect..... If anyone here chimes in or even reads this post and trolls with humminbird equipment, please tell us if they register that slow. Not tryin to hi-jack the thread, but I believe the H-bird Portable is the best portable for the money hands down. Mine has been with me since just before I reviewed it and it's bullet proof; wind, rain, sleet, hail, snow and occasional sun even, and it just keeps goin (hahaha, occasional sun). Plus, with the Humminbird setup (already has leak proof gel cell battery in it and auto peak charger) you can run almost any Humminbird sonar you want in it, so you're not limited to my setup (which works supurbly for a non-gps, non-color model). If you want to run a different sonar than they have bundled, you can buy just the portable package and add one of their sonar units to it, easy peasy.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:37 pm

VooDuuChild wrote: If anyone here chimes in or even reads this post and trolls with humminbird equipment, please tell us if they register that slow.
I have a Humminbird 595C, and yes they do register your speed below one mile an hour. Mine is taking speed from the gps unit, now you can always make an arguement against the accuracy of the speedo. on via a gps signal... or you can make an arguement against reading your speed from a paddle wheel type speedo mounted on the boat (when you are running with a current) Lets say the current is strong, but within that water current you are under X amount of propulsion.... Maybe your actual speed of travel is higher due to the current pushing you, but yet the little paddle wheel speedo is turning at the rate which shows the amount of push from you motor.

Sorry,, that was a little wordy and complicated. I guess all I want to say is YES, the Humminbird f.f's will give units of measurement down to 0.1 mph. I can hold a steady speed of as little as about 0.7 mph with a Minn Kota, depending on chop on the water. Does all this really matter? NO,, just go as slow as you can fishing for Kokes.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm kinda wonderin if the paddle will register as low as the GPS model? I would trust GPS over a paddle wheel, but the 565 is only paddle wheel compatible.
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Spend a little more money and get the gps, way more reliable then paddle wheel and you will have no problem reading uner 1 but for the koks just put it in gear and your good
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."