Alaska

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Alaska

Post by raffensg64 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:52 am

Any of you guys toss any flies in Alaska, either coastal or interior? Mama's orders to Germany have been canceled :cheers: and she's got a new assignment to Alaska :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: . I've done a lot of research but am looking for some firsthand experience. We'll be at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

RE:Alaska

Post by Rooscooter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:57 pm

Raff,
Wow! Fairbanks......pack the long undies!!

I've fished Alaska many times, however we never got more than 80 miles north of Anchorage. I have been to Fairbanks only once and didn't think much of it personally. Most of the good action is either south or west of Fairbanks (at least for me). I've fished a lot of water on the Kenai and Alaska Peninsulas as well as Kodiak Island. A few trips to the Bristol Bay areas have been memorable as well. There is some great lake fishing NE of Anchorage in the Mat-Su Valley. The lakes hold most Trout and Char species as well as some monster Pike. Here is a link to a PDF file on the lakes in this area that should
"wet your whistle" http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/R ... uLakes.pdf

One thing you must do while up there is scout out a good Grayling river/stream and go for them at least once. Grayling is one of my favorite fly fishing pastimes. A lot of fun on a 4 or 5 WT rig.

Good luck and stay out of the wind up there in Fairbanks

Tight Lines!

fishing collector
Captain

RE:Alaska

Post by fishing collector » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

Contact ...http://www.fairbanksfly.com/ They will be able to help you....There are lots of places to check when you Google..." fly fishing in Fairbanks"...also try just "fishing in Fairbanks Alaska" Good luck...dress warm, Steve
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”