Ice Reports...

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Ice Reports...

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:00 am

dbrowning wrote:Here's a picture of what you guys are talking about. I've been told they are a Grass Pickerel. Don't know if it solves it but hope it helps. Confused the crap out of me when I caught it but a guy that lives on the lake explained it to me.
I'm glad you had the picture.

You are correct, it is a Grass Pickerel. They ARE native to Washington, and are the ONLY native member of the Pike/Pickerel family in the state. They don't normally get very big, but a 3 lb is sometimes caught.

They are in several of our Eastern Washington waters, and were found in Sprague when the killed it off last year.

I have heard from reliable sources that there are a few Northern Pike in Elokia, but I have not caught one myself. Still, considering how Bucket Biologist are, I would not discount this at all. I saw a single 12" or so Gold Fish in Elokia, so who know what else has been planted.

I believe that the Pike Minnow, not to be confused with Squaw Fish or Northern Pikeminnow, is what they called the Grass Pickerel in Minnesota when my parents lived there for a while, so I can see the confusion. Is it a young Northern Pike, or hammer handle? Is it a Grass Pickerel? If you are not completely familiar with the different species, I doubt you could tell them apart.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:54 pm

wow this forum is going WAYYYY off topic. so back to it eh? Ice on Elioka is the best it has been all year...in some places I hae found nearly 2 foot of ice. Fishing has slowed a bit however. We caught only 20 keeps out of 100+ perch. very small this weekend. also NO bass. what's the deal? Last weekend we caught about 15 now nothing.... oh well just a weird week I guess. also no crappies again. bummer, but they will be there in the spring. good luck and let me know about the other lakes in the south. I have been reluctant to make the trip because of people reporting only dink perch...

dbrowning
Petty Officer

Post by dbrowning » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:41 pm

Went to Eloika yesterday with a friend. We tried in front of the public launch and then down past Jerry's in the first bay. Three perch for the day. Any tips would be awesome, still beats the heck out of work! We were using a swedish pimple with a dropper rig about five inches down with a powerbait waxie.

aaron42ash
Lieutenant

Post by aaron42ash » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:45 pm

they have been hitting high visibility colors the most often. I like chartreuse tipped with 3 maggots. and KEEP IT MOVING! it's such a weedy lake you need the jig bouncing to get some attention. I have had the most luck jigging 5 ft from the bottom wile holding the rod above my head and slowly jigging 4 inches at a time back down till I feel the bottom. they can see it on the way down and this is when I get the most strikes. good luck!