The Anti-Pink Thread

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dustin07
Commodore

Re: The Anti-Pink Thread

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 am

Matt wrote:I didn't even waste my time reading this thread.

Heading out the door to fish the river.... for pinks!

Matt
:salut:

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

oneshot wrote:fish is a fish is a fish.. i don't eat much fish.. i just like to catch them.. :)
+1!
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am

I also posted this in the fall salmon thread, but thought I would post it here as well. I know I'm new to salmon fishing so I'll be excited with anything, and maybe some won't give my thoughts any weight...but pinks are fine by me! The meat came off as a solid fillet and they are in the brine soaking, getting ready for the smoker. Here's the original post...

I'm new to salmon fishing and caught my first salmon ever yesterday on the Puyallup River. When they get in the middle of the current, Pinks put up a decent fight (to me anyways). They were still silver with that pink band on the side, and when I filleted them, the meat came off in one nice piece. I don't think the meat was mushy. Fillets are soaking in brine and will hit the smoker this evening.

Would love to catch a silver or king...but pinks are fine by me. I realize you guys have way more experience and are more discerning...but as long as I'm out there catching salmon...I'm happy!
IMAG0164.jpg
IMAG0166.jpg

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 am

Nothing wrong with that, nice fish mizm05!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:21 am

hey Mizmo I totally agree with you! Pinks are a blast in the river and the puke's a great place to get your feet wet and expectations high! [drool]

wolff
Petty Officer

Post by wolff » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, I may have to reflect on the being negative to pink years. I've been fishing almost daily for 3 weeks. After tonight I have caught 15 pinks and a silver from bank in salt. For the most part very mellow fishing, catching close to one a day close to my home.

Three nights ago I was pretty much alone, caught a fish, marked my card, filleted it, took it to my cooler, came back and started fishing again.

Same spot late today. 100+ people showed up around me. Landed my 2nd and as I was quickly marking my card, bleeding and getting on ice, 4 people moved into my spot.

Many guys had their wives following them around and grabbing their fish once landed. They kept fishing. No one recorded their catch.

I had to move way down the line. Landed my 3rd and was instantly pushed out of my spot again.

Lost 2 more...lines and people everywhere not giving an inch.

Went home and re-read the original post of this thread.

Luckily, I have the time and plenty of other spots to go to where this crap does not occur.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:37 am

Combat fishing all right. I guess a guy could bleed his fish, and put it on a stringer, and tie off to his waist. That way you wouldn't have to leave the spot.

Any popular fishery is going to be like this. Baker is boat-bumper car. Shipwreck will be crazy the next couple weekends. Cowlitz river hatchery hole #-o - it is what it is.

Not to excuse someone from walking into your spot.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:17 am

I have stood in the salt, caught pinks, bled them and stringered up to my hip.. and watched Seals chase fish just offshore thinking any moment a seal is gonna come yank the fish on my stringer tied to my hip and take me down.. :pirat:

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 am

absolutely, I've kept a stringer of fish tied to my waders belt before. but I wasn't in fear of losing my spot, just to lazy to walk back to the shore! :)

Combat fishing.... well, it is what it is. but when the pinks are like this I wish everyone could get a chance at them. They are a lot of fun to fish for if you ask me. and they fight! :salut:

I had a little luck this morning on the puke and it was kinda funny as people piled in later and later I wanted to ask them if their alarm clocks worked cause they were all late! lol

this is actually 2 fish I brought home, looks like one though :-k