Wynoochee Drift

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kbf1961
Petty Officer

Re: Wynoochee Drift

Post by kbf1961 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Nightcrawler tipped wedding ring spinner of all things

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:Geez 10.5 hours that include getting out and fishing. What did your buddy hit the fish on?
When it's low you go SLOOOW. It's a long drift that one. I guess I should do it soon before the gate closes.
kbf1961 wrote:Nightcrawler tipped wedding ring spinner of all things
I love the wynoochee summer run, they act all sorts of trouty. They love spinners and spoons!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 pm

jumpinjim wrote:
natetreat wrote:Most of the "whitewater" fishing doesn't have hatcheries on them
Well that's not really true, in fact the top 5 hatchery rivers in this state indeed have whitewater on them some have whitewater below the hatcheries and some have whitewater above, depending on the hatchery many fish pass the hatchery and mill around before turning back, the Sky is a good example of that, don't think you will ever find a hatch past Reiter? What about the Skagit or Green...

But I get what you are putting down, there are plenty of easier stretches where everyone goes that hold fish, which is why not many drifters are forced to increase skill in the pursuit of Gill! I like being alone in un-pressured water, while part of the thrill is navigating and making an adventure, quality fishing is always good which does make it a balancing act...

I did not realize you were raised on the OP, too cool! I wish I had that fishing heritage in my veins. Where did you grow up out there? How long have you been rowing and what different boats have you had? Why did you move to the big city?
Technically I was raised in Centralia and Olympia, but we spent every weekend on the coast. My father is way into fishing as well, started out as a wee one fishing cutthroat in Matheny Creek, Goodman Creek, hiking up the Bogachiel and Sol Duc and Quinault. When gass was cheap all it took to get to Forks was $20. During the week I fished the lakes in Lewis and Thurston counties, or on the Skook or Wynoochee, Cowlitz etc. There were a couple of years where I didn't fish that much, chasing girls and parties, but then I got engaged, and was right back at it.

We fished from a kayak. There are pictures of it in my Baker Lake report from the last few seasons. It was my grandfathers boat built from a mail order kit in like 1920 something. Originally it was covered in canvas, but we re-covered it a few years ago with Dacron airplane fabric, which made it much lighter. The cool thing about the kayak is that it carried two people, and is light enough to pack into some crazy spots! We did a lot of back country bassing in that thing too.

I moved to the city because I went to school up here in Seattle for graphic design at the Art Institute, and my wife went to the UW. I like the city now, if only for the ability to find whatever you need to buy. A lot more stuff to do at night.

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Another drift

Post by kbf1961 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

How about putting in at the Devonshire gravel bar on a good ebb. Where does a guy get out at? Chehalis River?

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 pm

natetreat wrote:Technically I was raised in Centralia and Olympia, but we spent every weekend on the coast. My father is way into fishing as well, started out as a wee one fishing cutthroat in Matheny Creek, Goodman Creek, hiking up the Bogachiel and Sol Duc and Quinault. When gass was cheap all it took to get to Forks was $20. During the week I fished the lakes in Lewis and Thurston counties, or on the Skook or Wynoochee, Cowlitz etc. There were a couple of years where I didn't fish that much, chasing girls and parties, but then I got engaged, and was right back at it.

We fished from a kayak. There are pictures of it in my Baker Lake report from the last few seasons. It was my grandfathers boat built from a mail order kit in like 1920 something. Originally it was covered in canvas, but we re-covered it a few years ago with Dacron airplane fabric, which made it much lighter. The cool thing about the kayak is that it carried two people, and is light enough to pack into some crazy spots! We did a lot of back country bassing in that thing too.

I moved to the city because I went to school up here in Seattle for graphic design at the Art Institute, and my wife went to the UW. I like the city now, if only for the ability to find whatever you need to buy. A lot more stuff to do at night.
Forks on $20.00 bucks, dang man, you must be old!!! just kiddin those were the days. I looked up that Baker Report and saw your pappy's Canoe, Dang, schweet! Those are the types of boats that you never want to let go of. Not just classic but filled with memories and history. I felt that way about my first kayak too, I wish it never melted it in that fire, but sometimes you just have to let your friends execute the whole plan before you see their vision.

How long have you been rowing drift boats and what different drift boats have you had?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 pm

kbf1961 wrote:Nightcrawler tipped wedding ring spinner of all things
well thats something different for sure, last time I was there I was using worms and all I got were smolts & white fish.

jumpinjim
Petty Officer

Post by jumpinjim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 am

Ya know I have never fished with worms in a river, not sure why. Aren't wedding ring spinners really light? Unless the nightcrawler is really heavy how do you cast them?

kbf1961
Petty Officer

Post by kbf1961 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:00 pm

Light tackle