New to bass fishing please help?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Re: New to bass fishing please help?

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 am

8 more fish in the boat this week. 3 from shadow and 5 from pine. The largest being a 2-3lb largie from pine. All but one on worms. One on a orange crankbait that looks like a crawfish. All worms wacky rigged. Used senkos, zoom trick worms, and big bite trick sticks. Mostly used a 1/8 oz tungsten jighead. Biggest was landed on a 6" watermelon trick worm on the 1/8" Eco pro tungsten jighead. Gonna fish flowing and goodwin next week.

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Get involved into a bass club you will learn a ton and make some new friends.

Or come by and see us at Limit Out Marine and we will show you how you can catch more bass.

Russ

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:12 am

Hey Skunkedtoomuch, If you are interested in the bass tournament on flowing lake it will be Sunday August 10th put on by the Washington State Pondjumperz. It is an electric motor only tournament. That means you can have an outboard on your boat but you can't use it during the tournament. You also must have a working livewell. If you are or anyone else is interested in this open, you can send me a PM for details.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

I am interest as I only have a trolling motor on my bass raider. But if they allow motorboats that day I'm out. It ruins the day. That lake is way to small for some dudes wake boarding. I did catch a bass that woulda won your last tourney as I think the winner was less than 6lbs correct. I wanted to come to your last meeting but couldn't make it. My fishing buddy and I are interested in joining your club.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 pm

Unfortunately we can not restrict the "other" boat traffic on the lake. Our tournament anglers will not be using outboard motors but I would imagine that if the weather is good the rec users will be out in full force. Watch our website or our facebook page for tourney details if you are interested in participating in the tourney. It is an open and so is our next tournament at lake Goodwin in September.

Next club meeting is this coming Tuesday in Mount Vernon. Feel free to stop by and check us out.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Do you have plans to have tournaments on electric motor only lakes? That would be awesome.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:34 pm

We have looked into lakes that are electric motor only. Typically they are too small to allow 10-15 anglers 8 hours worth of fishing.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:14 pm

There's A couple I can think of. I'm assuming anything over 100 acres would be sufficient?

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:48 am

Beaver and pine lake would work IMO. Both are very good bass lakes. I'm gonna take my dad fishing Sunday. We haven't fished together prob 16-17 yrs. gonna go to loma lake. Went to the pond off 200th in lynnwood last night. That body of water is gross. Had 3 smallmouth all jump out of the water and shake off the hook. Was using some weedless wacky falcon hooks. Won't use them again, lost prob 10 fish on these hooks in the last week. They were biting on nothing for like 3 hours. So went near the buildings on the other side of the park and bam. All hooked on black and sparkle blue big bite trick sticks 5". I really hope we have a great day tomorrow. But more than that I hope I catch more fish than my dad. My fishing partner is also bringing his dad. Any cool fishing gambling games we could play?

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Loma lake is awesome. Perfect bass lake. The entire shoreline is fish able. So we had a good day. 30 total LMB. Largest right about 1.5lbs. My dad and I caught 19 and our buddies caught 11. I got lucky and pulled out the most fish of the day on the last cast. Threw my pumpkin 5" senko right in front of a grass bed. Let it sink, then pulled it up while shaking my pole a little. And on the drop my line kept going after if should have stopped. Fish on. My 10th of the day. My dad and I were tied at 9. All 30 caught on senkos and big bite trick sticks in diff colors, and all were wacky rigged. All fish caught in less than 8 ft of water with most in less than 3 ft.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:15 am

Putting any sort of tournament on Beaver or Pine would make little to no sense honestly. Both lakes are under 100 acres and wouldn't be able to handle 10-15 boats. Add the fact they you cant have a gas motor on the boat at all and some of the pond jumperz guys wouldn't be able to fish. Lakes like roseiger, flowing, clear, Goodwin, are all better options. If I lived farther north I would fish them.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 am

There are a lot of good lakes out there that produce great bass fishing. But just because the lake has bass in it does not make it a good tournament lake. We put a lot of thought into the lakes we select each year. The state also has a say in what lakes we have tournaments. fishingmachine is right on point with his comments.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:18 pm

I will def enter the goodwin lake tourney and will try as make it up tomorrow. So you can have a has motor on your boat, you just can't use it? Finally ordered all my drop shot gear. Going back to loma this weekend but then buying a 4 hp motor for my boat and going to start focusing on goodwin.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:51 pm

You are correct, you can have an outboard on your boat you just can't use it. That includes idling to charge batteries. Hope you can make it up tomorrow.

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:06 am

Any ideas for a DIY live well?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

They sell them as a kit on Bass Pro Shops and/or Cabella's.
Tom.

Interests: living

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Some useful Live Well links:
http://www.pondjumperz.com/livewell.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
Awesome thanks guys. Got my new gear today.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Since we have been talking about this upcoming tournament put on by the Washington State Pond Jumperz. Here are the details for Sundays Tournament.

It is an open with electric motor use only. Must have a working livewell. $45 for non club members. We will be launching at the WDFW boat launch. NOT the county park launch.

Registration 4:30am-5:00am
Boaters meeting 5:00 am
launch - 5:15am
Weigh in 2:00 pm

Skunkedtoomuch
Petty Officer

Post by Skunkedtoomuch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm very curious to see how many fish everyone pulls outta flowing. Bass fishing is slowly becoming a small obsession. Went to 200th pond in lynnwood again. Caught 3 LMB. Between 4:15-5:30. Was surprised they were biting, but wacky style seems hard for them to resist if you can find em.